We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help!what graphics card to purchase.

Nightwing73

Likes # 0

Hello,I'm looking at buying a gaming pc for the first time it will be a small form factor pc the trouble I'm having though is picking which graphics card to use I will be running on a Samsung TV with a resolution of 1920-1080p I want to be able to play games like crysis 3,total war 2,arma 2,battlefield 3 and up and coming games like watchdogs on ultra settings & 60 frames a second the cards I have been looking at are the nvidia gtx670 & gtx680 & gtx Titan I know the gtx Titan is expensive I could go to a budget of £1800 or would the gtx Titan just be waste of money for the performance I would get at this resolution.thanks.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<< it will be a small form factor pc >>

Then forget about all those graphic cards you've mentioned, you'll need a largish mid or full tower.

You'll have to wait a little bit of time before you can get the Titan & for over £800 ,it's way too expensive & overkill to run your 19x12 or 1080P resolution ,any card upto Gtx 670 will do.

Like this post
Nightwing73

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot.overclockersuk stock small LAN gaming pcs that can handle gtx680 & gtx690 graphic cards I'm thinking of getting one of theses .

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Can you give a link to that please?

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Is this the system you meant? click here This is the ITX mobo you'll get if you order this system click here

Quote: *System Specification - Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Mini ITX Case - (Different colours available) - Power Supply: Corsair GS 600W PSU - CPU: Intel Core i3 3220 3.30GHz Ivybridge Processor (Upgrade CPUs available) - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77N WiFi Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 mini ITX Motherboard - Cooler: Corsair H60 CPU Cooler - RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit - Hard Drive: Samsung 840 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD - Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650Ti 1024MB GDDR5 - Sound: High Definition 7.1 Onboard Sound Card - Optical Drive: OcUK DVD±RW Drive - OEM*

Quoted: No OS systems are fully tested with the same extensive methods as systems chosen with an operating system. Including tests such as CPU, memory and GFX stress tests. All no OS systems are formatted completely before shipping.

1 . Personally I'd worry for the cooling in such a tiny case although it's water-cooled, the radiator will still produce heat.

2 . The PSU needs to be upgraded if you want to run GTX 680 & upwards.

3 . You'll need IvyBridge cpu in order to run Pci-e 3.0 preferably i5 or upwards to run games satisfactorily.

4 . All the cards you mentioned are very heavy & long (much longer than your ITX mobo) & will be fitted right at the bottom of the board, please make sure that it's properly supported.

Just some observations, you're the one to decide.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

600W PSU will easily handle a 680GTX , I use one myself with no probs . For £1800 you could easily get a system to power its way through The games you have mentioned . I would personally go for an overclocked i5 CPU , otherwise you could suffer from CPU/GPU bottleneck , which will hit graphics performance . I have added a link to a system built by Scan , as you can see it is well under budget , but lacking an SSD . Have a little play with the customisation , you should be able to come up with a system . http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=1413 . I use a GTX680sc with an overclocked i7 and 16Gb of ram , and have no problems running Crysis 3 on ultra settings in 3D at 60fps .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do