We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Silent Calls From BT

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've just had another silent call from BT, on my answering machine.

At least this time ii wasn't entirely silent, the person said they were from BT, but left no message, and no number, but over the last few days I've had a about half a dozen which have been totally silent.

Really isn't on. I'm naive enough to think that BT should be setting the standard, not lowering it

I thought these calls were now illegal? I've e-mailed them twice to ask them to desist, but to no avail.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have to draw attention to a weakness in your argument.

I do not doubt that you have, as I have, had a number of silent calls, they seem to be a regular fact of life these days.

However a caller who says "I'm from BT." does not really fit that description.

Were you not able to use 1471 to return the call?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If the calls are from the UK, they can be minimised by signing up to the Telephone Preference Service. That, combined with being ex-directory, has led to me getting zero cold calls in the last 12 mths.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

If the calls are from the UK, they can be minimised by signing up to the Telephone Preference Service.

I used to be with BT before changing to o2.

When I was with them BT frequently rang me trying to sell me additional services and when I told them I had signed up for TPS they said it didn't apply to them!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Pine Man

The TPS does not apply to companies with which you have an existing trading agreement, so your current or previous telecoms supplier can ring you any time they wish, as can your bank, your current or previous utilities etc...

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

alan14

Thanks for that but I'll still think twice before returning to BT;-)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"However a caller who says "I'm from BT." does not really fit that description.

Were you not able to use 1471 to return the call?"

Strictly no, but when they call without leaving a message or number, and they call from the same number as half a dozen others which were totally silent it is difficult not to tar them with the same brush.

I cannot call them back, even though I know the number, because the telephone is difficult for me (It's a full headset and a large keyboard and other arrangements, and when it is really necessary I tend to set up calls at a pre-arranged time). That is why I have an answering and monitoring service.

I have e-mailed their Customer Services three times telling them I cannot use the phone, and asking them to e-mail.

Unfortunately we are stuck with them as a provider as we use a community alarm service, which goes through them.

For the same reason I am reluctant to block the number.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Today I've received three almost silent calls, with a recorded message informing me that I'm due a refund and to press 5 for more info. A search for the following number 01618263541 revealed many others are also receiving these calls.

having signed up to the Telephone Preference Service doesn't appear to make any difference as this type of call is almost a daily occurrence lately.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

hssutton

If you press 5 for more info, you will most likley be connected to a premium line taffif, for which you will not be aware until you receive you bill.

NEVER press a number to get more info. BT also do a similar scam, you dial 1471 to find out if you have missed a call and told to press 3 to connect. This will be charged at a mucher higher rate than if you dial it yourself, however as before- you will not know about it until you get the bill

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite