We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD/HDD Freeview Recorder advice please

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

Wondered if someone could point me in the right direction. Looking for a recorder that will record two programmes while watching third. It's a terrestrial aerial into a Panasonic TV (TX-26LXD80 if it helps). I'm looking at a Samsung BD-E8900M which seems to fit the bill, any advice regarding this or other units I might have a look please.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Most units will do that although having only two tuners they are limited to which channels are being recorded and watched due to the multiplexing of the channels. I have one of the early Humax PVRs (not the HD version) and that will record 2 and watch a third (with mux limits). If the TV itself also has a Freeview tuner then of course you can always watch that if the multiplexed channels clash with viewing.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

chub_tor

Thanks, although I'm not sure what you mean by 'multiplexing' & 'multiplexed' channels. I'm only interested in the 'free to air' stuff and my TV does indeed have it's own Freeview tuner.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Although Freeview has many channels they are not all transmitted individually but are sent in blocks so that several channels use the same block. For a full list of the channels and the blocks they are sent in see this link http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewchannels.html.

In practise this means that if you are recording two programmes in two different multiplex blocks then you cannot watch a third programme in a different block.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

When y6ou Say watch a third It as to be one of the two recordings that you are Making I have the Humax PVR 9300T You can Record Two at Once but you need to switch to freeview that's built into TV to watch a Different one,to the ones you are Recording, or you can record two while watching one already Recorded

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

You can record 2 channels and watch 1 on the TV.

You can record 2 channels on the same multiplex and watch a third on the PVR.

You can record 2 channels and watch 1 previously recorded.

You cannot record 2 channels on different multiplexes and watch a 3rd on the PVR if its on a different multiplex.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Actually woodchip that is incorrect. This statement is copied from the Humax website for the DTR-T1000

"Watching live TV gives you all of the features you'd expect, including the ability to rewind and pause live TV. As there are dual Freeview HD tuners, you can record two programmes at once and watch a third, provided it's on the same multiplex as one of the current recordings (multiplexes being the small groupings that digital channels are broadcast in)."

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Ok But do not understand what you are on about

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

This may help

The ability to split more than one channel from a multiplex block would appear to be a function of the tuner and/or its software/firmware most appear not to but as chub_tor says the Humax DTR-T1000 is one that is able to split two channels from a multiplex but none of my Panasonic PVRs have this capability.

I havnt gone into this in any detail but some of the PC tuners and software seem to be able to split off a number of channels.

If anyone has knowledge of this perhaps they could share it with us.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Must admit that on the Odd occasion that I have got two recordings starting that the one I am watching does not urn off. So it works on occasions as above

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

chub_tor

Apologies for the delay in replying. Thanks for your input, I've now grasped the meaning of your first post.

Thanks again. :-))

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite