We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bargain buy??

kad60
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have found a HP Elitebook running W7 Ultimate,secondhand, checked it over and everything appears ok,comes with a one year warranty.Previous owner returned laptop to factory spec so no 'bloat', seems ideal for travelling,fairly light,powerful (i7tm), small hdd (?) (160gb) but external can solve that issue and 12 inch screen..

Any one use or have used this particular model (2540p),other thoughts welcome,undecided but do need reliable small laptop to go away with,netbook awful, tablet not suitable.The laptops security measures are a plus.

Asking £390.!!or purchase something new.

Your input appreciated.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Should have put a link in,this is one reviewbuy or not to buy

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I use the dm1 with a 11.6 screen and it's very good. Not exactly the same model but comparable I think.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

john lewisThought about that model,ideal size, spec quite basic,if they had chosen a more powerful processor,seems in reviews to be not much more than a Pentium, it would make a good buy,an extra £60-70 for the Elite looks good.Thanks.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This machine's big advantage is its build quality; it's an ideal travelling notebook because it was built to stand the inevitable wear and tear of a business life.

Provided you are happy with the condition it's in you could do a lot worse.

Like this post  
kad60

Likes # 0

Read a few reviews and gets good marks so i chanced it and bought.As FE said,build is very good light and mobile,HDD bit naff,5'400rpm and 1.8 inch but can use 2 HDD's for a raid setup,fingerprint reader,small light by webcam to shine on keyboard,touchpad and keyboard have a great 'feel', overall impressed.

Now in the 'knocking on wood stage'.!!!

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Spoke too soon,hardware wise the model is very good,only drawback is hdd (slow) and 1 key not working correctly (WWW symbol).

Main issue is this,Installed OS is 7 Ultimate, recieved message to activate so used product key on COA label and got a "this key is not valid with this version" message, closer inspection showed that original OS was 7 Pro.

Previous owner or seller installed not sure.

One e-mail later recieved reply,go to MS download package(?) and new key or return to rectify.Hmmm !!!

Definately keeping the laptop so Tech Help next, some queries and ideas i want to put to you all.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You can legally download Win7pro from here and use the original COA.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link chub tor (no idea regards the underline) downloaded and burned what next ? never done this before.Had considered doing a recovery if the partition has not been erased by the Ultimate install,i think before progressiing in this way i shall do the recovery to factory default.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad