We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I move my 02 PAYG credit to another sim?

Phil Ocifer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi

Posted in Speakers Corner because no real answer has been forthcoming from the appropriate forum. Probably a very limited audience, but theoretically should be very knowledgeable on the respective subject.

Does anybody know how to move credit around between 02 mobiles?

I've just got a new phone on contract with EE/Orange and want to take my old number with me, so I phoned 02 for a PAC and I'm ready to go.

Unfortunately I've still got c.£20 credit on my 02 PAYG.

The 02 advisor says I can use it or lose it, (very nice of them) but I don't use much - that £20 would probably see me out this year (because I'm a miser I suppose) but . . .

• Is there a way to transfer this £20 it to a friend or credit the wifes 02 monthly contract with it, or I could give the sim to someone else to use, or do I indeed have to use it or lose it. I've got the PAC for 30 days and could get another but I'd really like to keep this number I've had for 15 years

I've seen a Samsung mobile in a supermarket for £5 (was £15) plus a £1 for a sim on 02. Anyone know if 02 are able to transfer the balance to the new £1 SIM? If so I could keep that phone for emergencies and (potentially riotous, drunken) nights out (I can dream LoL) ?

(I've had a look at 02 Wallet but I don't think that's a go-er - let me know if I might be wrong on that)

Any ideas? Cheers Phil

(And before you say why did I get a contract and what will I do with the minutes and texts?, well, I will use them - I feel I have a little freedom now whereas previously I've had to be (ahem) "careful".)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Don't hold your breath, let it out and talk away the unused air time away to get your money's worth before you switch!

from their point of view it would probably cost more than the airtime value to switch it.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Only thing I can say is you need a Sim Free Phone to use the Sim in or continue using the old phone till its used up

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The only way I have managed to transfer credit, is by transferring the sim card to another mobile and using the same service provider.

Remember also, that some service provider's insist that a mobile (payg?) is used within a 1/3/6/ month period, depending on T&C to maintain any credits.

The supermarket wasn't Tesco by the way. I was looking at an offer yesterday in our local Tesco, and was undecided?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Should have perhaps asked, was the offer subject to a £10 top-up voucher for 02 being obtained at the same time. I didn't notice if this was part of the deal?.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Well, I guess it's "use it or lose it". Already made a private call and entered a "lowest unique bid" competition so down to £13 already ha ha.

Spuds - I couldn't see any mention of £10 top up, however they usually drop that one on you at the POS. Clever trick - NOT.

Cannot remember but was either Tesco or Morrisons.

I'm sure you used to be able to buy things on a suitably equipped internet phone where the money came off your credit. Anyhow. I think I'll take an early bath on this one and mark resolved. Thanks for all your assistance. Cehers Phil

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks