We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cash machines and what do you do when no money comes out.

bumpkin

Likes # 0

I am interested to know what others have done in these circumstances and how it was resolved. In my case I put my card into a machine at a Tesco garage entered £200 to take out, It processed the transaction and said wait for your money but it never came. How long does one wait? after about 5mins I decided to go into the shop accepting the risk it may come out 10 seconds later and be taken by someone else. There was a security van on the forecourt so I asked the manager if I could speak to one of the security guys. I was told no in no uncertain terms. One of them happened to walk back to the van so I asked him whats wrong with this machine and explained what had happened. It transgressed that they had opened the back of the machine after I had entered the code but before the money came out. The money was not taken from my account but I am curious as to whether other members have had similar experiences or what they would do.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

This was on Money Box a few weeks ago. The banks are re-reimbursing a lot of customers if asked so tell your bank if it happens to you.

Link

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Seems to me that the machine should be disabled/switched off to prevent this sort of thing happening while its being serviced. Surely its not beyond the designers to incorporate a switch that operates when the machine is opened, which effectively stops it operating while its being filled.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The first thing to check for is a false front. This is a well known symptom of scamming.

Next do not accept any offers of help, particularly from nice young men with eastern European accents.

I would then note as many details as I could and contact the bank concerned.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

The event in wiz-kings link happened to me. I requested £70 from a Nat West machine at an ASDA branch. Got distracted and it was about 10 minutes before I realised I had not collected the cash. I spoke to ASDA but they could not help. I assumed that someone had thought it was their lucky day. A few weeks later my account was credited with the £70, so I assume the cash was sucked back in.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

BT (machine should be disabled/switched off) they are but in my case at exactly the wrong moment i.e. after I had entered my details and retrieved the card but before the cash came out. I would have though they should be able to tell if it is in use before disabling it, that would make more sense.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Conversely, what do you do when you find cash sticking out of a machine and nobody else around? It was only £20 but I thought it best to be honest - you never know who's watching, what with all these CCTV cameras around these days!!

And before you say I'd have pocketed it if I thought I could have gotten away with it . . . perhaps so if it had been laying on the ground. however, I thought the bank could probably trace it. Could have been a distracted OAP on their last £20 for the meter; could also easily have been enough for somebody a much needed line of coke . . . who knows!! :)

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Advice for you all . I am an ATM engineer , I work on machines at most major banks . In Bumkins case , it was the security guards fault , the rear operator panel displays when a customer is using the ATM , he obviously didn't bother to check . It is always best to use an ATM run by your own bank , and when withdrawing cash ALWAYS ask for a receipt . You have about 30 seconds to firstly take your card , and then another 30 seconds to take your cash . Fake fronts are quite rare and usually in poorly lit areas . The single most important thing is PROTECT YOUR PIN ! Even if your card is skimmed , they cant get cash without your pin . Cover the pin pad with your hand or wallet/purse . Most of the high street banks now have security devices that will either stop a skimming device from working , or will put ATM out of service to prevent fraud occurring . If you find most of the ATMs in an area are out of service , it is quite probable that the only working one is unprotected and has a skimming device on it ! And FE is correct all ATMs are currently running on Windows XP .

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

nickf, thanks for your input, that was the only explanation I could think of, glad to have it confirmed by an ATM engineer.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

phil ocifer, If you believe in honesty I am amazed that you would give it to a bank. The unfortunate thing is that those that draw small amounts of cash are probably the ones whom it hurts most if they lose it.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Ive noticed with some Lloyds Atm's in harrow theres seems to be a small 0.5mm hole at the very bottom facing downwards. The hole is covered with a plastic clear or glass cover, where you enter the pin, I always cover my pin but ive noticed these holes that have

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...