We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cash machines and what do you do when no money comes out.

bumpkin

Likes # 0

I am interested to know what others have done in these circumstances and how it was resolved. In my case I put my card into a machine at a Tesco garage entered £200 to take out, It processed the transaction and said wait for your money but it never came. How long does one wait? after about 5mins I decided to go into the shop accepting the risk it may come out 10 seconds later and be taken by someone else. There was a security van on the forecourt so I asked the manager if I could speak to one of the security guys. I was told no in no uncertain terms. One of them happened to walk back to the van so I asked him whats wrong with this machine and explained what had happened. It transgressed that they had opened the back of the machine after I had entered the code but before the money came out. The money was not taken from my account but I am curious as to whether other members have had similar experiences or what they would do.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I would panic as have no idea what to do in that circumstance. Perhaps it's time to ask the Banks what the correct procedure is?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"Ask the banks" they won't care will say it is your fault.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

bumpkin

The Banks' normal response is "Our machines are infallible, you must be mistaken"

Seriously, it should NEVER take more than about 30 seconds for the notes to be ejected, so you were seriously patient when waiting for 5 minutes!

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Most people these days would have a Mobile phone.

On the back of the card you will find a help line number. I would phone and report the problem to make sure the amount had not been debited from my accoount.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Must check spelling before posting it should say account and not accoount.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've encountered a similar situation at my local ATM. After going through the whole procedure to take out money... my card would pop-out, with no money. On checking my balance later at another local ATM, the balance is as it should be.

PS. I wrote a computer program in PASCAL about 20 years ago very similar to the ATM's now operating in today's 'holes in the wall' - some of the adverts that are now displayed for topping up your mobile etc are a distraction, and are undesireable when all you want is 'dosh'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

The vast majority of today's ATMs run on good old Microsoft Windows.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

adverts adverts everywhere but that is what pays for some of the things we expect.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I had a similar card in, no cash out incident with an ATM at the local Asda superstore a few years ago. Asda didn't want to know, but Barclays soon confirmed that no money had been given, so no money had been taken out of my account. Would add, that at the time directly after the incident, I tried another ATM nearby for a statement print-out, and that showed the previous balance, but I was still concerned about any delays or adjustments, hence a further check with Barclays.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers