We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New 10" Tablet

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been looking at 10" tablets. I like the iPad but the Samsung Gemini and the Google Nexus have some plusses and are arguably better value. I was about to buy the Nexus 32 gig,but it is unavailable. On their website there is no indication of when it will be around. I phoned Google, and I must say that for a huge company, their marketing is diabolical, as the agent had no clue on this issue. I am pretty sure that if I were their chief buyer, I would get some promises from Samsung , rather than a total blank. At least you would think they would put some indication out, even if it weeks or months ahead. They do not deserve the business , even if their product is good value.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps - Suggest that, if possible, before you buy that you visit an Apple store and get a full demo.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Thanks. I will do just that. The new iPad has a different "mini" or lightening socket so I will sus out the correct adapters etc. There is an "Apple TV" wireless device but it is quite expensive.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I have derided Apple in the past BUT I have bitten the bullet and bought a new I Pad 4 with the new Retina display. Absolutely brilliant, so quick and easy to use. I am converted !

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

iscanut2

Thanks. You and the others have convinced me to go for the iPad rather than the other tablets. I hope to get away with the cost by telling my wife I am buying it for her. (Which I am, of course, but hope she will allow me to share it!)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

My son's iPad has been commandeered by his wife and the rest of the family. You may find that your wife likes it so much that you don't get to share it!

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Can't get mine away from my wife so may have to buy my own ! Be warned :-)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john bunyan

My wife has my iPad by her side when she watches TV,

She is a walking encylopaedia on films, the theatre, opera, ballet, and all the people who act and perform, but occasionally she needs to check who a particular actor is married to, where the drama was filmed, how many times he or she has been married, etc.

The iPad is her friend in times of need, but when I got it she said 'I can't see the need for yet another computer.' She's changed her mind now, though. I over-hear her telling her friends how wonderful it is.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

"My wife has my iPad by her side when she watches TV".

Now I am worried! I can see that my use of the tablet will be curtailed as my wife is a bit PC averse , even with a laptop, which I sometimes connect by HDMI to a TV to watch BBC i Player etc. Never mind, I am sure it will be fully utilised, and as my wife tends to get me to print off too much internet stuff, I shall pretend that is difficult with an iPad, in the hope that she will get used to this new machine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer