We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New 10" Tablet

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been looking at 10" tablets. I like the iPad but the Samsung Gemini and the Google Nexus have some plusses and are arguably better value. I was about to buy the Nexus 32 gig,but it is unavailable. On their website there is no indication of when it will be around. I phoned Google, and I must say that for a huge company, their marketing is diabolical, as the agent had no clue on this issue. I am pretty sure that if I were their chief buyer, I would get some promises from Samsung , rather than a total blank. At least you would think they would put some indication out, even if it weeks or months ahead. They do not deserve the business , even if their product is good value.

Like this post
rockymast

Likes # 0

Put your anger into action. Get yourself an iPad. Android is anyways not the best tablet OS around.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

I'd been watching the nexus in the run up to xmas, planning to get one myself. However when it appeared to coming in to stock I didn't order as their site stated "shipping shortly", within a day or 2 that then changed to "sold out".

Got fed up with waiting and went to pc world, got the Galaxy note 10.1 @£355 added a 16gb sd card @£15 and a £20 case. Works out cheaper than the Nexus 32gb, seems to hold it's own against the ipad in everything other than pixel count. I'm well pleased with it

It's happened a further 2 times since the beginning of the year too, glad I didn't wait.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks for responses. I am debating the iPad 32 gig versus the Samsung. The Retina iPad is £479 plus bits and bobs (new leads etc) Same price as a laptop. The Samsung has some "better" features such as memory expansion, word processing compatible with Word, etc. Do I need the "Note" version of Samsung? Decisions, decisions!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The iPad using the Pages app (extra cost) is compatible with Word. It is quite easy to transfer word docs to iPad using iTunes, Dropbox or email.

iCloud sync works well with MS Outlook.

I've had a brief play with a Samsung tablet but have had an iPad2 for nealry 2 years and have absolutely no regrets. Very easy to use and straightforward. I have the 32 Gb version and have plenty of room.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"....have had an iPad2 for nearly 2 years and have absolutely no regrets."

Ditto to that. I haven't yet seen anything that comes close enough to make me consider a change.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thank you both. I think I will go for the iPad in view of your comments. Can't green tick but there you go!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Of course you will need to add a cover into the price but it is still a good buy.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks. I think I may get a case with a keyboard, a screen saver and a lead that converts the new "lightening" socket into the old one and HDMI, to use it for watching iPlayer etc on a bigger TV.

Adapter

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

PS this adapter, presumably, would allow connection to my iPod docks for sound.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I haven't got an iPod or dock so don't know about that.

What I find is really good is the hdmi connector adaptor through which the iPad connects to the TV. You get a mirror image of the iPad on the TV filling the screen. This is ideal for showing photos to friends/family at the risk of boring them and can be used for BBC iplayer, internet and videos all with sound.

I haven't found a great need for a keyboard and have not used one with the iPad.

Do you have an iPhone? If so the Photostream works well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...