We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Genuine Phone Battery - from where? Any ideas?

Phil Ocifer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Got a Nokia BL-6Q battery off Amazon in April and sussed it wasn't quite right more or less straight away. I should have read the reviews - none are particularly encouraging. Now 8 months later it's showing signs of dying. The trouble is, it looks like a genuine battery - it's even got a holographic sticker on it.

So I'm stuck - does anybody know of a high street national phone chain who stock genuine batteries? Or even an online store who really do sell genuine batteries?

I'd be grateful for any leads - cheers, Phil

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Yes, the first three on Google Shopping are: 1st "Genuine" £12.98 from UK Mobile Store, 2nd is "Original" at £25.99 from Argos and the 3rd is "Genuine" priced at £2.99 from Play.com. To quote Play.com: "Genuine Nokia spare battery BL-6Q"

The first two have the hologram, the third looks like an old style.

Confused.com @?@

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Perhaps it is time to change the phone.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

LoL - perhaps, Woolwell; but it's only a year old (or is it two) and you know how some people just want a phone for making phone calls? You know how some people aren't impressed by the unrelenting march of modern technology? You know how some people keep saying why are you looking at your phone ALL THE TIME? Yes, you guessed - it's the wifes. :) All she wanted was something slim, small, slender and stylish.

Yes, it's got a 5mp camera, but 1. she liked the shape and 2. try getting a mobile without a camera.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"All she wanted was... " and awww, she ended up with you instead ;-)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"it looks like a genuine battery"

It may well be genuine, but all batteries have to have certain regular maintenance to function correctly, but this will not always work 100%.

I have purchased a number of mobile phone batteries, some are clones and other are suppose to be 'genuine'. One thing that I did find once, was one company was supplying the genuine article, but instead of being new and unused, had been removed from return models. On another occasion, I was supplied with a 'new' and sealed battery for an older model mobile. Old stock was the problem there.

Like this post  
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Thanks Lotvic, but I'm hardly small, slim, slender or stylish LoL

Spuds - thanks for the info. Regular maintenance? Do you mean a "charge / discharge regime"? On a side note, I don't see how this is possible when the battery comes partially charged and may have been sat there for months slowly leaking charge since it was charged at the factory. Theoretically, one would have to own the battery from within hours of manufacture and stick to the charge/discharge regime. However, I don't think this is as important now we have Li-On/Li-Po batteries as standard. I digress.

I spent about an hour last night looking at genuine v. fake Nokia battery analyses in the internet. I must say, it's all very confusing, especially if one only has one battery to look at.

The battery in question, the one I suspect of being fake, looks genuine enough right down to the hologramic sticker, english and french wording on the back and the QR code being comparable with the original. Certainly at first glance and according to the guidelines it was a genuine battery including the 1, 2, 3 and 4 dots around the circumference of the ellipsical Nokia trademark.

However, on comparing it with the "Original" battery, (i.e. the one that came new with the phone from the 02 shop), it became obvious that the "Original" hologram was much, much clearer than the fake. The clasped hands were easier to see, the Nokia ellipse was more defined and the 1/2/3/4 dots around the edge were much more obvious. Also, the ellipse was more like a £ coin, i.e. the ellipse had sides which gave it the appearance of a "tube", and the more you tilted it, the longer the tube appeared to get.

Also, contrary to some advice on the internet (posted in 2007 btw) there were two languages on the back of the battery, however, the print on the fake was more like comic sans MS than the more staid Ariel on the original.

I could not find the "edge of the label" to scratch off to find a long number. There was a long number under the printed warning but I did not bother putting that into the Nokia Website.

Incidentally, Nokia have a section on how to recognise a fake battery, but it is impossible to find this page whilst browsing around the Nokia site - I found it through Google. It would also assist if Nokia could publish photos of genuine and fake holograms and batteries. I suppose it might be a big task but I think it would be worth it.

So, sorted with identification of the fake but still no wiser as to where to purchase a genuine battery from. I think Argos may be the way to go - they should surely have a provenencial route of supply. However, at that price I'll probably go for a replacement rather than an original - at least one doesn't expect miracles from an unbranded replacement.

Argos take note - you can price yourself out of the market!

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

I'll rephrase that - Nokia - you can price yourself out of the market. I presume the Argos price is sheer robbery because Nokias price to Argos is so high (and Argos has to make some profit . . . . ?)

Oh, and by the way, the batteries looked identical in form - there is no evidence of shoddy workmanship or cheap injection moulding on the fake. It looks as good as the genuine article.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer