We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which tablet should I choose?

Tablet Liker

Likes # 0

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could give me some good advise about which tablet I should choose according to my needs. I want: (a) Something that is lighter than a laptop (b) A device that works as a computer for schoolwork (essays, notes, powerpoint, etc.) (c) A tablet where I can also record lessons and take pictures of homework (d) Something that works well with internet and preferably skype (e) A tablet that I can read and listen to music on (f) Something that connect with other electronic devices (such as computers and cameras) (g) A device with enough storage for many pictures (h) It would be nice to have a USB port, but it is not 100% necessary.

Note: The keyboard issue is not big for me, as I know that you can get separate keyboards (not on the screen).

Thank you for your advise.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

My grand daughter (17 1/2) has just got a Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7" and it does all those things for the same purposes as you. We did buy the dock type Samsung keyboard. She connects it by USB to the laptop when home and the Samsung word processor comes in in Word format for editing and printing. She got a 32gig mini sd to boost the memory and has converted her iTunes music to MP3 and imported it. I am looking at the 10" tablets, and although iPads are good I think other tablets have features like memory slots that give an edge. I am looking at the Nexus 10" (out of stock) or the Samsung Tab 2 10". This is not quite as good on resolution but has many good features. I think the Nexus and the Samsung can hook up to USB sticks or external drives with adapters. THe Nexus has a mini HDMI so could connect to a TV to watch iPlayer etc.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

BTW Some offer cloud storage, The Samsung came with 500 gig "free" cloud storage but when I queried why they needed a credit card to implement it I found that after a year they charge £30 so we did not take up the offer, and keep back ups on a laptop and other means.The 7" Samsung was £158 witha £20 cash back - now gone up but still good value even if you add £22 or so for a 32 gig mini SD card.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

BTW Some offer cloud storage, The Samsung came with 500 gig "free" cloud storage but when I queried why they needed a credit card to implement it I found that after a year they charge £30 so we did not take up the offer, and keep back ups on a laptop and other means.The 7" Samsung was £158 witha £20 cash back - now gone up but still good value even if you add £22 or so for a 32 gig mini SD card.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Sorry for double post

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015