We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iMac Review

HondaMan

Likes # 0

When I read PCA's review of the new iMac, I could hardly believe my eyes. The review is so full of errors and mistakes as to be useless.

For those, like me, considering an iMac, please visit Apple 27 inch for hte correct information

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

SimpleSimon1

You are so right. My youngest son uses Macs and has done for years because of his work and has the iPhone and iPad, along with the iPod and he said to me they are good, and do essentially the same things that a Windows machine will do. My reason for moving was a problem I had with some idiot hacking in to a Hotmail account I only used occasionally and sent a bug through to everyone on my address book. This ended up costing money to people who thought it was from me and opened the missive. Bingo! they were infected. Eldest son paid a lot of money to PCWorld to get rid of it.

I still have the Windows laptop, but it doesn't get used very much these days, I try to keep the iMAC going but that is really an adventure with the constant niggly problems that are ever present. To give some idea of the problems I have encountered, during the first 4 months of ownership, I spent more time on the phone to Apple to get the thing functioning correctly, including erasing the HDD twice and reinstalling the operating system, including the update to Mountain Lion from Lion. Buying a Magic Mouse that had to be replaced because of failure to operate, a number pad was replaced because it couldn't be setup. I never did use the original in anger. The Magic Track Pad is so sensitive, it can operate if you swipe your fingers above but not even touching the plate, missing it by microns!! That makes for an interesting sequence particular regarding deletion!! All these were bought from Apple not some nefarious supplier. And the major problem now is the way the mouse, keyboard, number pad and Magic Track Pad constantly lose their connection. It is pointless having a Wi-Fi system because it fails to operate far more than it operates.

Like you, I believe a totally independent review is the real way to finding out how these machines operate, and to give a reasonable time scale for such a review and not use a couple of days and see it works OK, because as sure as eggs, there will be problems with it. I do not believe that I am the only person who has had so many problems with a piece of kit that is supposed to be so good and reliable.

Sorry to mump on, but these thing cost me £1,000:00 plus, and I honestly think it was a complete waste of money. It does work, but I have absolutely no confidence with it at all.

TonyV

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

SimpleSimon1

"Some people (FE if I remember correctly) have switched from Windows to Apple and are very pleased with the result."

I have used Macs for years, but not exclusively - my main computer work is, and always has been, done on Windows machines. I first started with a Mac when I was working on a project in Hong Kong and Singapore for a bank. The bank's South East Asia director was a Mac fan, and he equipped the entire dealing room with iMacs. Each person was allowed to choose a colour, and the result was a bit like an explosion in a paint factory. I realised that it meant I had to get a Mac, and so it began.

Later on I got a G4, and used it extensively. My mac experience has been uneventful - the machines have worked perfectly, and I have no complaints. Nowadays I have little work for the Mac, but I keep it, just in case. I'm a dedicated Windows man at heart.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

FE

I'm a dedicated Windows man at heart.

I can see the extreme Apple fans reaching for their voodoo dolls, even as I type :-)

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

It's actually a very valid point. I have been a Windows user for many years and have a substantial investment in Windows software. Everybody says that Windows will run happily on an iMac, but, and I think importantly, no-one has, can or will prove it by showing me. If Apple really want a larger presence they must imho be prepared to let windows users see for themselves that it really does work.

The only response I get from Apple is a blanket, "we don't do that"

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Generally speaking Windows runs beautifully on Apple hardware, and given the spec of the iMac it will fly. Indeed, our own Reviews Editor runs Windows on his MacBook Pro. Apple is being slightly disingenuous when it says it 'doesn't do' Windows on Macs: it has baked in dual-booting tech. It knows that being the only means of dual-booting Windows and OS X is another reason to buy a Mac (which is one of several reasons why no other hardware maker is allowed to use OS X, but it can't be seen to say so.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I was typing rather hurriedly earlier. What I meant to say was that the only response I get from Apple and its stores is that they will not demonstrate Windows on a Mac, not that the Mac cannot "do Windows"

If Apple could bring itself to do this, I am sure that there would be many Windows users, me for one, who would probably switch without any further delay.

Their attitude is holding them back from hoilding a larger share of the market which is a shame. I am sure that there must be others in the same position as me, i.e. we want to change but the possible financial implications are too risky. The iMac I am looking at with peripherals is over £3000 add to that the possible cost of useless software and the additional cost of replacement software and you could almost triple that and for what? All for the sake of Apple not demonstrating Windows.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite