We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice on a laptop for univeristy and older game use

allanon

Likes # 0

My daughter now wishes to buy a laptop for univeristy rather than taking notes and using the desktop at home. She also plays the older strategy games eg Rom Total War, Medievil 2 , Age of Mythology etc. I do not know much about laptops and I would be grateful for any advice as to specs and a specific machine. Max expenditure say £300.00 perhaps a bit more.

Is it possible to get an i5 processor within this price band?. What size RAM is needed?. Have the newer CPU's with built in graphic capabailities made it into the laptop arena yet? or would you need a discrete GPU?

Thanks for your time

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Many University have their own Internal Internet available to Students, also some Courses require particular software (which is usually available at considerable Discounts). These are things you should find out first.

Many Laptops go missing during the first couple of Terms. Insurance can be expensive, but an older Lappy is less likely to be stolen, so a Second-User model might be a better option.

Like this post
allanon

Likes # 0

Thanks for your speedy comments wee eddie

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

HP DM 1, small, light and powerful with a graphics card. Get the 4025sa model with windows 7 64bit, amd e450 cpu running @ 1.65 dual core. Just got one for my son and it's brill. Do not get the wins 8 version, full of gremlins. I like it so much I have just gto one for myself to take to work and replace my tablet.

Like this post
allanon

Likes # 0

Thanks ,as it would happen she's already ordered one. I'll check it ponce received. Thanks fro your help

Like this post
allanon

Likes # 0

As it would happen she has already ordered a laptop. I'll have to check it out once it arrives. Thanks for your advice

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia