We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dhould I move to BT for Broadband

iscanut2
Resolved

Likes # 0

Are there any BT Broadband users out there ? I am currently with Eclipse and get 12Mbps on connection which I am happy with.I am 1 mile from an exchange. BT have made an offer which is cheaper than what I currently pay. Is there connection reliable, could I expect the same or better speed, is their Hub any good and is it wireless ADSL2 router/modem. I suppose I could check on their site, but would like to hear from other users. Thanks.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Dhould !! Should have been SHOULD.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If BT Infinity is available in your area, then I would advise you to go for it.

I have always used BT, never really had any problems of note. Changing to BT Infinity increased my Broadband speed from under 2Meg right up to 72Meg, with a regular speed in excess of 35Meg.

BT Hub and Router both Provided by BT are fine. I have no complaints.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes..

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

The Hub will be free But no sign of Infinity coming to my exchange in the next couple of years. I am really more concerned that I will get a drop in speed although I don't see why I should.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'd also check how much BT will charge you after the introductory period, as they're not known for being the cheapest

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Like all the others, what you get is not always what they promise.

I am supposed to get 8 meg and rarely even get 6, sometimes they struggle with 4.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

As with all ISP's, the majority find the service good but it falls down flat for a few.

I have had a few issues with BT and had to threaten them with the ombudsman before they took action and my sister who has been with BT for over 25 years is having the devil of a job just to transfer her account to a new home.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What you might need to consider, is that most ISP's use BT's infrastructure for providing a service, so what you get with your present ISP you should get with BT, if you change to them.

When I had speed problems with TalkTalk, it was BT OpenReach who did the outside and in part the exchange work, and TT did the rest. But in the end, it all came down to 'what the line would take'. I went from about 1MB to 6MB, after cables, joints renewed, exchange parts replaced etc.

The thing that I found interesting when all the above was going on, was BT were very quick in sending their engineer's, after TalkTalk gave them the go ahead, "because they (BT) were getting paid for it?".

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

If you have the option , I personally would go with Virgin . I have found them very reliable , and get great speed from them .

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I have used BT broadband since ADSL was first introduced in the UK, and I have to say that I haven't had a single problem with the service over the years.

I currently have BT Infinity which is very fast and very reliable.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room