We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is I-Mesh up to?

cerealis

Likes # 0

I tried to download some music for which I needed the I-Mesh player. I installed the player but the music didn't download. Having uninstalled the software I now find that I-Mesh have overridden my Google search engine and I can't get it back, despite the fact that Google is the default. Does this happen all the time? Is this something Google are worried about?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

iMesh is a file-sharing service which is notorious for its invasive behaviour. It has obviously hijacked your browser.

this may help with removal

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You can delete search engines in 'manage search engines' in Google, add more and set one as default. See if you can remove the overriding one.

Some more reading of removal but looks a bit old, but worth having a look. http://www.hmc.edu/cis/doc/how-to/network/sharing/remove_imesh.shtml

Like this post
cerealis

Likes # 0

Thanks, but I have removed all the I-Mesh programs and the browser still defaults to I-Mesh. This also happens with IE. Does it make sense to uninstall both Chrome and IE and download them again? The problem is I will have to download them first, uninstall the originals and then run the new programs without an internet browser. Is this the way to go?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you've followed the advice of also deleting the folders in the program Files directory then try TDSSSKiller.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

you can change default browser in ie

Like this post
cerealis

Likes # 0

Thanks. I uninstalled IE and Chrome and downloaded them again. Although there was part of the IE program I was not allowed to delete the infection has not spread to the updated version.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...