We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which External hard drive

Roy03

Likes # 0

I will be buying an external hard drive in the new year and I need some advice. I rather like the idea of a usb powered unit, but are they as efficient as a mains powered unit. Also any thoughts on which brand. It will be used just to store my photos and music,so it wont be in permanent use Many thanks and Merry Xmas Roy

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

If like mr you have a spare hard drive just get a caddy,if you have to get the compkete unit make sure it's mains powered as the power draw from a USB is limited so mains powered units are a better bet.As to which brand i have no idea others are more qualified than i to answer that question.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

I can only endorse mole1944's post.

Have had a pile of HDs over the years and apart from different labels would not have been able at any stage to tell t'other from which when in use.

Western Digital If you want my favourite, but that's based on no particular reason than in earlier days they looked more solid, shiny and sturdy.

None has failed me over the years, but my first experience was a mere 40Mb!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I can only give you one suggestion.

Go for USB3.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

I agree with wee eddie provided your motherboard has USB3 ports. I would also recommend the GoFlex Free Agent portable drive of varying high capacities and can be purchased with USB2 or 3 support. Have one myself and am very satisfied with its performance. TC.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Have used USB powered external drives ( two of them ) for years without any problems. WD and Maxtor. One of then needs two USB sockets but run fine from a 6 connection USB hub.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The only problem with USB2 is that if you have any volume to transfer between drives, it can take hours.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you use a Old drive, Do buy a Caddy with a Fan in it as Heat kills External Drives

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings