We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Palicomp Warranty not delivering as stated

cwstad

Likes # 0

I bought an excellent PC from palicomp a couple of years ago along with a carefree warranty. I recently added a hard disk to the system but unfortunately the SATA port which I was connecting the disk to was loose and as a result it snapped off the motherboard. I checked the warranty that id purchased with the pc, and found a paragraph that states, "Your PC is also covered against any accidental damage that may occur when upgrading your PC with other components." Great I thought. I contacted Palicomp by email and explained what had happened, surprisingly I was told that the PC wasn't covered for accidental damage although it stated this in the warranty. I pointed this out to the technician, and was told I could send the unit back and there would be a charge. This doesn't sound correct to me as it clearly states in the warranty that accidental damage is covered. What would be the best way to follow this up

Best regards

Chris

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Perhaps a formal letter to the company with a copy of the terms etc..Give them a time in which to respond and advise them that if they still refuse to act in accordance with the warranty, you will consider legal action. Make sure however that you are certain you are in the right !

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I would contact them again and quote the information in the T&Cs again. Strangely, though, I can only find information about their base warranty on their site. No mention of the carefree warranty. If still no luck then someone here will be able to suggest how to take the complaint forward.

Like this post
alB*

Likes # 0

"Your PC is also covered against any accidental damage that may occur when upgrading your PC with other components." Does that mean them or you upgrading it ? If you break the seals does that invalidate your warranty ...alB

Like this post
cwstad

Likes # 0

Hi guys, thanks for your reply. This is how the agreement reads

This PC is covered by Palicomps Carefree Warranty. In the unlikely event that this PC should suffer any issues involving hardware or software and Palicomp cannot resolve them by phone or e-mail, we will collect*,repair and return your PC to you completely free of charge for 5-Years from date of delivery.

Your PC is also covered against any accidental damage that may occur when upgrading your PC with other components. If using the carefree option then please always quote your Palicomp reference number and contact [email protected] or 01270 898 078. The carefree warranty is essentially an all cover warranty which will give you peace of mind for your computer for a term of 5-years from purchase. This will cover you for Hardware faults, software issues, accidental damage, Remote Software access and all carriage fees. This means that if you were to suffer a hardware failure within the 5-year period,Palicomp, if not able to fix via e-mail or phone, will arrange collection via courier to bring it back to our workshops and resolve issues here and then send back out via the same courier. This is all free of charge. We will also help you out should you have any software issues or conflicts that you cannot resolve and the bonus comes from the accidental damage. Obviously this isn't an insurance that covers from dropping down the stairs etc, but if you choose to upgrade your PC and damage the machine in the process, then we will still cover this under the warranty for you. The way all the above differs from the standard warranty is as follows: Standard RTB warranty

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What worries me is your quote, the SATA port which I was connecting the disk to was loose and as a result it snapped off the motherboard. To snap off a Sata socket from a mobo would take some doing. It would mean that it either left a hole in the motherboard, or the socket was prised off with rough handling. Take a photo of the damage you've caused explaining that you thought the socket was loose when you connected the sata cable the first time. Send that photo with your email.

See if they will consider that it was a motherboard weakness, and it does happen, rather than heavy handedness.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

From what you've said about your warranty terms it looks to me as though you are covered by an unconditional warranty term. The sentence "Obviously this isn't an insurance that covers from dropping down the stairs etc, but if you choose to upgrade your PC and damage the machine in the process, then we will still cover this under the warranty for you." is unequivocal, and unless there is a small print qualifying clause I recommend that you pursue the matter with the supplier.

A warranty is a warranty,and is binding on the company that issues it.

You would be well advised to state your claim in writing - an email will be fine.Tell the company that you expect it to honour the warranty it gave, and that you expect a response within 14 days. Perhaps you'll keep us updated as things progress.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

rdave13 They still quote their carefree warranty as of now

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

HondaMan, it's just that I can't see anything about the Carefree warranty's T&Cs, just the basic warranty.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you have trouble with the supplier regarding the warranty, then you can or might have the advantage of Section 75 of the Credit Consumer Act, if you paid by credit card or a computer finance package, of which the warranty was part of the purchase deal.

I once had a 'Peace of Mind' warranty, that the retailer would not honour. Section 75 eventually came to the rescue.

But make fully sure that you are covered for accidents that you have described?.

Like this post
cwstad

Likes # 0

Thanks looks interesting

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED