We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WiFi quandry

wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have recently had a visit from BT Openreach who have updated the Cables entering the house and installed a new Master Socket. Unfortunately it could not be in the same place as the old one. No problem.

My new download speeds are round about 9.7Mbps on my wireless laptop (They were about 2.8 to 3Mbps).

However my Desktop, using a Dynamode 11n USB Adaptor (a Dongle, I think) only manages between 0.5 and 2.5Mbps, when they sit side by side.

What route do I take.

Buy a more expensive Dongle, in which case which one, or buy a pair of Homeplugs at £41.00

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I uses a devolo dLAN500 [Click here][1)

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Sorry, link nmot workingClick here

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Bit the Bullet - Bought a pair of Solwise 200Mbps Homeplug AV Ethernet Adapters (with AC Pass Through) @ £23 each.

Set-up couldn't have been easier.

Connect the Cables > Plug everything into the Homeplug > both Router and PC using the 'Pass Through' facility > switch on the Router > switch on the PC > press the Connect Button by the Router > press the Connect Button by the PC and that's it.

A lossless Internet Connection.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Yep, I've got the Solwise 200's as well (7 of them scattered throughout the house, connected to computers, TV and HiFi) and am very pleased with them. The passthru facility is especially useful.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...