We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WiFi quandry

wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have recently had a visit from BT Openreach who have updated the Cables entering the house and installed a new Master Socket. Unfortunately it could not be in the same place as the old one. No problem.

My new download speeds are round about 9.7Mbps on my wireless laptop (They were about 2.8 to 3Mbps).

However my Desktop, using a Dynamode 11n USB Adaptor (a Dongle, I think) only manages between 0.5 and 2.5Mbps, when they sit side by side.

What route do I take.

Buy a more expensive Dongle, in which case which one, or buy a pair of Homeplugs at £41.00

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Previously the Desktop was hardwired and got around 2.5Mbps.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I would go for the Homeplugs, which I use.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I second the Homeplug suggestion. Check Ebuyer or 7dayshop for cheaper prices and good reviews.

Would mention that when OpenReach fitted a new masterbox on y property, they hard wired the computer direct with a long extention lead, which didn't give any drop in service.

The masterbox they fitted also did away with filters on all the other sockets, which tends to baffle my ISP as to why no filters are fitted?.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Before spending more money, Try downloading and running TCPOptimiser on the PC

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I've had a bit of a breakthrough.

I unplugged everything and then re-booted. Only get to 4.8Mbps to the Lappy's 9.8Mbps but a big improvement.

Will now try TCP Optimiser.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Disaster: Wanted me to Log-in as administrator, which I was. ThenI could no longer get back on line.

System Restore sorted that, so we're still looking but at least with an improved speed.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

why not just use a LAN connection ?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

nickf: 20 meters as the crow flies, around skirting, through wall, over door, around skirting or under floor (lift carpet) and then connect at the far end. 35 meter Cat 5 cable would do the trick. Not really a runner, but thanks.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I am not surprised your dongle is struggling. Homeplugs seem to be the best option.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Ah , not practical then , I agree with wiz-king then , home plugs it is

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen