We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PCWorld and AVG

SteveOcean

Likes # 0

Bought a new laptop from PC World yesterday. The touchpad stopped working today. I did a system reinstall - touchpad still not working.

So I took it to PC world and asked for a refund.

They said that they would not offer a refund because I had installed AVG Free antivirus instead of the Norton Product that they recommend. The manager insisted that the most likely cause of the problem was a virus which had been let through by AVG Free!

This led to 5 minutes of arguing on a busy shop floor, with me stating over and over again that the laptop was not fit for purpose, and the manager stating over and over that the touchpad did not work because I had 'not followed the manufacturers instructions to install Norton Anti Virus'.

Eventually, he offered to refund the money if I agreed to let him virus check the laptop, and if i would agree to pay for the cost of the virus check if he found a virus! I refused, more arguing...

In the end I got my money back.

What was that all about?

Like this post
SteveOcean

Likes # 0

Edit: Should have said 'Duty Manager' not Manager.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

I've never heard of that before no way in my sense a virus wouldn't cause the touch pad to stop working because you installed AVG instead of Norton claming a virus was the issue its a malfunction issue with the Laptop in my oppinion you where right argue your case - good on you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"What was that all about?"

It was about a shop manager who didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

We have two PC World stores in my location, and the staff turnover can be alarming, including management level. I have found that some manager's can be rather anti-customer when others can be very helpful, yet they are all suppose to have been selected and trained for the job they have undertaken.

I recall when the TechGuys were disbanded in favour of the now KnowAll, things were supposed to have improved to a much higher standard, especially in customer care. But alas like all good intentions, sometimes this just doesn't seem to work to plan!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...