We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mini Tablet Gift

kirstylou1

Likes # 0

I am looking for a tablet/mini tablet for around £170 for my partner. His laptop is on its way out and he only really uses it for BBC iPlayer, sport, youtube, films and music and abit of email/low level surfing. He's not massively into apps/games. I suppose he's a basic user but is on the move a lot so would need to be able to use it on trains etc. I have looke at the Kindle Fire HD, Nexus 7 and Blackberry Playbook. I have to admit I have read so many reviews I'm dizzy and confused (I'm not very techy). I just don't want to buy something that will be limited. Thanks

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This is a good comparison Click Here, I know that it is from the USA so forget the pricing but it does weigh the pros and cons pretty well. If the main use by your partner is as you say then personally I would go with the Nexus 7. I like the weight, the size and it has a better processor and camera. But it is a tough choice and ideally you should see both in operation before chooding.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's going to be between the Nexus and the Kindle Fire, and frankly there's not a great deal to choose between them.

The Kindle has the better display quality, and the screen is larger, if that's an advantage. The Nexus has the edge when it comes to the operating system,and of course it's smaller.

The Kindle Fire is a bargain at the price; it should be quite a bit more, but Amazon is after a big userbase, so it can sell them books and apps,and everything else. Content is the name of the game for Amazon, so you get the Fire at a knock-down price. It's a lot of bang for the bucks.

Likewise the Nexus. Google wants you to buy it because it thinks it wants to gain a foothold in the Android tablet market,and because if you're a YouTube fan you'll see(and hopefully click on) lots of Google ads.

Both machines are priced lower than you would expect, given the specifications, and the winner in this instance is you, the consumer.

For me the Kindle just edges ahead, but that's because I like the slightly larger and crisper display. Both devices are excellent.

Like this post
kirstylou1

Likes # 0

many thanks for the advice. The things I have been most concerned about with the kindle fire are the difficulties of getting the iplayer as noted on many reviews, email problems and the lack of apps. I have also read some horror stories about ti not really being ready for UK users (more US). Are thesee claims justified?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days