We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Buying a desktop for bedroom

Hetti

Likes # 0

I'm thinking about buying a desktop to replace an old one we have in a upstairs bedroom, we have had lots of problems with internet connections with the present machine and have bought a external wireless adapter (I think that's what it is called) but that also loses internet connection often and we need to sync it back to the Virgin super hub downstairs very often and we are tired of it. Its not just the fact we have problems connecting to the internet the PC is really at the end of its life.

My question is what does the new PC need to have the best chance of finding/connecting to the downstairs modem? I realize laptops are better for finding/connecting wirelessly but I really need a desktop PC.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Why does the new PC have to be WiFi. Have you considered 'Homeplugs', which make every socket in your house an extension to your router. I think Solwise are one of the companies that make them.

I use them for a PC upstairs and a TV downstairs and they work perfectly.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I agree with Pine Man as regards using Homeplugs, I also use Homeplugs.

But can you say why a laptop would not be suitable? I recently ditched my old desktop in favour of a laptop, I would not want a desktop again!

If it is because you don't like laptop built-in 'mouse' or touch pad use (both of which I don't like), then you could used a USB keyboard and a larger external Monitor connected to laptop - again, this is what I use! I also have an external hard-drive connected to laptop for keeping my Acronis backups.

The keyboard and monitor you are currently using will probably both work with a laptop.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks Pine Man So long as it works It need not be a wireless PC, I just took a quick look at the Homeplugs on Amazon around £40 for two, I dont know anything about them though, is it just a matter of placing them in the socket and away you go? do I need just one for each PC, if this is so, is there any benefit using two for one PC say to get a better connection?

Thanks for your help

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Nonetek

It is simply you get more for your money with a desktop, no other reason really.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

An added advantage of doing it my way, is that the only button used on the laptop is the On button - otherwise, the actual laptop is never touched, meaning that it is still in pristine condition after nine months use, it will probably still be in pristine condition after years of use!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

More for your money!! Depends on your budget I think.

Homeplugs - initially two are needed. One plugs into your Router and the Mains, the second connects to Ethernet socket on computer in bedroom and the mains - via Ethernet cables which are supplied with the plugs. Any number of single Homeplugs/computers can be added at any time, as long as they are all on the same Ring-Mains in the building.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

You need one homeplug where it connects to the router and then one homeplug for each appliance that you connect to the ring main.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

I think I get the gist of that, but as the router is quite a way from the sockets in the living room if it needs a cable run to it it would need to be about 22 foot long, would this be standard or would I need to look for a special one?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Surely the router has a power cable running to it already?

As far as I am aware a homeplug can work on an extension lead.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...