We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Powerline Adapters: Gigabit, 500mpbs, 200mpbs, 85mbps

ilyibz100

Likes # 0

Hi there,

Thanks beforehand. I'm looking into buying a powerline adapter for my home. I was browsing and I often came across the speed variations of Gigabit, 500mpbs, 200mpbs, 85mbps. What I was wondering was that if my internet connection comes up as 30Mbps with 2Mbps upload speed on speedtest.net, would I need above 80Mbps?

On a certain powerline kit that I cannot recall the name of (may have been a Zyxel kit) you get a diagnostic tool which tells you your connection and in the reviews people were reporting over 450Mbps which is double what Virgin Media offer in the UK. From this I assume that it is some sort of different unit and I'm hoping someone could elaborate.

PS. Could someone recommend a twin powerline kit to me. I have a budget of £30 max.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

I have some Ebuyer branded ones, 85mbps. They have worked flawlessly for the past 3 years or so. I use them for connecting my TV to my PC to play movies etc and also for my sons xbox for online play. No speed problems with any of it. The only issue I had was when I changed my router to a Buffalo air station and it stopped them working, probably just a setting somewhere, but I then got upgraded by Virgin and the new super hub thing let them work again.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Lidl have a starter kit on sale this thursday at £40.

enter link description here

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Ebuyer and 7dayshop have been offering some good and well reviewed devices, so I would base a purchase on the reviews being offered.

Using an higher mpbs device would be a better buy, because this would allow for future expansion, it will not exceed what you line or ISP allows,if that is what you are thinking.

Take note that some latest model will work straight out of the box, others may need adjustments, and reviews or a search might show this information.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

The Lidl links you are providing might only apply to area postcodes, and if stocks are available there?.

Lidl Scotland and England have different offers, similar to Aldi marketing.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks spuds. I was unaware of that ... and appologies to ibz100.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...