We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tablet for my Gorgeous Niece

rhona31
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a tablet for my niece for her Xmas. She's 9 and will mostly use it for watching tv shows and playing games.

Ideally I'm looking to spend under £150. Is it possible to get a decent one?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Your budget allows you a fairly limited choice.

Take a look at this

Like this post
rhona31

Likes # 0

That looks pretty good. I was looking at these cheap foreign ones, I can get a 10" screen for under £100. I'm guessing that would be a duffer?

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 1

The cheap imports normally suffer most in screen usability... which is key to a good tablet experience. I'd suspect a child - however gorgeous she may be - might get quickly frustrated if poking the screen doesn't bring the desired result.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

I deliberately avoided the cheaper products. You'll want your niece's first experience with a tablet to be a reasonably good one, and my recommendation will ensure that's the case.

Bear in mind that a top-flight tablet will cost upwards of £350.

Like this post  
bremner

Likes # 0

A very good alternative to the Samsung is the Nexus 7

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus716gb&feature=device-featured

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 1

The link again this time painfully slowly with Javascript on

nexus 7

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bremner

I agree, the Nexus 7 16Gb model would be another good choice.

Like this post
rhona31

Likes # 0

Cheers for the info guys, it's a big help. I'm going to go for one of the above, just trying to decide which one!

Like this post
rockymast

Likes # 0

Nexus 7 is the best choice. It's the combination of top hardware and software. And I bet she wont mind the absence of card slot. :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features