We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPad....or Galaxy Tab? Opinions please!

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Help! I am in a dilemma! i currently have an iPhone 4s, which I am happy enough with. I dont have a mac, just a laptop/pc.

I want to buy possibly an iPad, mainly for use in my one man band performances, as a way of displaying lyrics of songs. I have seen it in operation doing just that and it does it very well.

However Im wondering if I should get a Samsung Galaxy tablet instead (which one? dont know!?). Im wondering if the whole apple thing is over rated and over priced. If I got the Samsung , then at next phone upgrade I would probably change to the Galaxy phone too. I hate the idea of having to use iTunes to put music from my laptop on my iPhone.

I would be going for an iPad2 which are currently €399. I suppose Im looking for general recommendations.......iPhone v Galaxy Phone, iPad v Galaxy Pad, having to use iTunes for transferring music (I prefer WMP)v not having to....! Or is Apple so bl**dy good that its worth the price and the iTunes hassle??

Im totally confused, please give me your opinions!

thanks

h

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You are never going to get a definitive answer to your question. There will be three groups.

Many will say the iPad is by far the best Tablet and worth the premium you pay.

Many will say the Samsungs, Kindle Fires and Nexus' are as good and much cheaper.

And finally you will get the "I would never buy from Apple because they are the devil in disguise just trying for world domination and to steal your money with their shiny shiny products"

The best advice is go into a store that has a good selection, see how they perform and how they feel in your hand before deciding which suits the best.

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Thanks! I somehow knew that this would be the proper answer!!!!!!

Another question.....software on these tablets... can any of the WP type apps import MS Word docs I wonder?

Another question for the stores I guess!!!

thanks

h

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I am pretty sure Andriod has an App, the IPad and Windows certainly do.

Like this post
Wuggy

Likes # 0

My wife has had an iPad for about a year. I have a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 inch which I bought recently. Having used both quite frequently I can say that the iPad is superior in amost all respects. THe screen looks better on the iPad, In-Plane Switching is instant whereas there is a lag, sometimes a considerable lag, with the Galaxy. Photos and videos look better on the iPad. Scrolling in web pages is also much smoother with the iPad. BUT, and there are 2 big buts. 1. My 16GB Galaxy cost £188 (with a £50 cash back via Samsung). The 16GB iPad 2 costs £329 and the iPad 3 £399. 2. The Galaxy takes an up to 32GB Micro SD card to extend storage to 48GB (card costs £14 from Amazon). And, of course the biggest benefit of the Galaxy over the iPad is you can simply stick your memory card in your PC and transfer over all the music, videos and photos you want without having to jump through hoops using Apple's horrendous iTunes to transfer/ sync with the PC to iPad. All in all, the Galaxy is cheaper, you can add storage and transferring files is easy BUT the iPad looks and performs better.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm in full agreement with the opinion expressed at the end of Wuggy's excellent assessment - for me the iPad beats the Galaxy Tab hands down.

As for your question about MS Word docs, you can already open and edit the files on an iPad in a number of ways, but the good news is that Microsoft is about to launch a version of Office 2012 specifically for the iPad.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have been seriously considering the Galaxy phone or the iPhone. However I am put off the Samsung phone by the Kies software which I find compared to iTunes is less reliable and is clunky. I have an iPad and recently used a Galaxy tab. I still prefer the iPad.

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Thank you everybody!

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

I have a tab 10.1 and it doesn’t seem to suffer from any sort of lag and the display looks pretty good to me.

I’m just wondering if you’re comparing like with like here. Isn’t the Tab 2 10.1 different from the original Tab 10.1? You can pick up a Tab 2 10.1 for around £230 but the Tab 10.1 is around £380 for the 16GB version. I haven’t done any research on the spec (I won my Tab in a competition) but I just want to be sure that you’re comparing the iPad with a similar Spec Tab.

Confab

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Also ipad is far more secure than any device running Android .

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

nickf

I'm not in favour of any particular device be it iPad or Android but do you have any stats/facts to back up your statement because I would be interested to read how one is far more secure than the other.

Confab

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite