We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Portable and rugged, large external drive

WinstonSnith

Likes # 0

Hello, I am not looking for just an external / backup drive, this baby will go travelling with me. I want to have a whacking movie library on it and have the confidence to chuck it in my bag, go on the road and know it'll be OK.

Looks like a portable SSD is the safest way forward but 128gb is about the limit of my finances and would say that 500gb would be a minimum. Best I have seen so far is this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813172-REG/LaCie301556RuggedMiniPortable_Hard.html

What do you reckon? Or is there a good value SSD out there I have missed (and are they that much safer anyway? or just faster?)

Thanks!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Normal drive is no good as they do not like knocks, they are not meant to be thrown about

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I travel with one of these. It passes the US military 'drop' test, which means it will withstand a drop of 1.2 metres onto a hard surface and still work.

I have accidentally knocked it off a table onto a patio, and it once slid from my jacket pocket as I took it off and landed on a wooden floor and it survived both incidents without any problem.

Like this post
WinstonSnith

Likes # 0

Hi both, thanks for the response:

@ Woodchip, what would you recommend then? I was thinking SSD but further research is showing that the major advantage is speed and not security (so not worth the extra premium.

@ The Editor, thanks for that. All the "decent" named drives (WD, Lacie, Buffalo) seem to have the same reviews: 4.5 out of 5 with the vast majority being 5/5 and everyone else saying 1/5 and the drive failed within a short space of time. This said, the buffalo one has over 380 reviews and Lacie only 17. Given it's half the price of the Lacie, I guess it's the winner so far.

But still... is there something that scores 5/5 anywhere?! Must be! :]

This is the USB stick I use fyi:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flash-Survivor-CMFSV3-32GB-843591020367-CORSAIR/dp/B0039K178W/ref=sr112?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1353330653&sr=1-12 <---- that's TOUGH!

Like this post
WinstonSnith

Likes # 0

I got the Lacie - seems well built and trustworthy. Will report back in 6 months!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...