We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop for 12yr old Daughter £250 -£300

AlAndrews

Likes # 0

Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I have agreed to get my daughter a Laptop for schoolwork and entertainment, you I will install MS Office and then Movies, Music, iPlayer etc.

I'm budgeting up to £300 for a new or refurbished ie open box return not used.

Any help or advice or good deals anyone has seen welcome.

Thanks,

Al

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I recommend the second one down in this link ...

within your budget...

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Same thing but with Win7 installed,

A little over budget, but worth it!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

It could be worth looking through the Argos eBay site. Argos eBay. Many are described as refurbished but I believe in most cases they are open box returns. Stock changes quite frequently but today there is a Sony Vaio Sony Vaiothat meets your criteria, just £6 over budget, and also a Toshiba. Toshiba C855. Just two examples and they have the benefit of twelve months warranty.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I would suggest that if you go for something from Ebuyer, you ask about additional ram. A few pounds more might make a good difference for schoolwork and entertainment.

Like this post
AlAndrews

Likes # 0

Thanks for the response so far, I can see that Toshiba seems a popular choice, what do you think about this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOSHIBA-SATELLITE-LAPTOP-C660-220-I3-370M-4GB-DDR3-500GB-15-6-WINDOWS-7-BLACK-/281003278603?pt=UKComputingLaptopsEH&hash=item416d19c10b#ht1957wt_1203

Thanks,

Al

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

With the Tesco Outlet refurbished unit, take note about the battery guarantee, because these can be expensive to replace.

The other point worth considering is that the refurbishment might have been done by a third party repairer of Tesco choosing, and not Toshiba who might not want to become involved if the laptop should fail?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...