We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WHICH film storage device for a SMART TV

novis

Likes # 0

I have a Panasonic Viera Smart TV and am looking for a storage device for my films that I can (hopefully) connect and play. Research has a variety of considerations for devices that I don't understand. Not being very technological, the pros and cons of devices recommended would be appreciated in simple, clear language. What do I need to know - and what should I be aware of?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its got a USB slot it may accept a USB External Drive. You need to read the Manual on what Kind of Storage you can connect

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

We have a Panasonic "smart tv". It will record to an external hard drive but you CANNOT use that hard drive on any other TV than that which the recording is made from as it is specially formated to work only with that TV. Some TV's will allow you to use the hard drive to rewind/pause the programme you are currently watching some don't. If you want to use it on a PC then it has to be formatted. I suggest that you download the manual for the TV you fancy and check that it will do what you want.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

caccy The Software on the TV formats the drive as Packet Writing, as in NERO inCD. its used in Freeview Recorders. That why Now and again you get corruption of the Drive and it as to be reformatted, as the drive freezers when this happens

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK