We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

when is best time to ditch my Windows XP SP3 laptop?

Markito

Likes # 0

I ask this because it will mean having to buy a new laptop since mine is an H.P. Compaq 2GHz, 2 x 1 GB, 160 GB, almost 5 years old. It works perfectly, but I understand its comparatively small disk / memory won't allow me to up-grade to a later, hungrier version of Windows.

So should I buy now - well before XP support ends - or wait another year? I don't know whether waiting will enable me to have an even more up-to-date version of Windows, or whether the manufacturers will see XP's demise as a chance to raise prices for all the last minute customers.

(By the way, I am a light user; just e-mails and web surfing.)

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Your laptop may well be able to take up to 4g Ram. 160g h/d is well sufficient for wins7. I would suggest, if your laptop can take it, to buy 2x2g ram making 4g memory then install wins 7 64bit OS. As you are a light user 160 is more than enough.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thank you Rick. Much appreciated.
Does anyone else have any views about this?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

If it still does what you need to do, which would be seen as very light use by many people, then just carry on using it and putting your pennies away until such time as it either dies or you needs become much more demanding. Hopefully by that time you will have saved enough to go out and buy a new laptop and Windows 8 will have been sorted well enough to make it everyday usable.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it was mine I would look to do as rickf says as W7 has a long way to go before it's likely to be 'outdated' and W8 (as canarieslover says) is not sorted enough yet (drivers, glitches, etc)

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I agree with rickf..Win 7 is very good and I see no reason to even think about upgrading to Win 8. Perhaps also buy an external USB hard drive to store any docs, photos, music etc.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If it does what you need why do you want to ditch it? Just to keep up with Microsoft is going to be a costly exercise

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS I have HP about the same age a HP510 XP home 2.13Ghz Centrino CPU only a 60Gig drive but I use a External USB drive when I need to

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

If you find that 160 GB is not enough, you can always replace the HHD as well. Far cheaper than a new laptop. I run mine with second external 500 GB pocket HHD - runs fine on WIndows 7 32 bit.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

I have found out that the laptop can take up to a max of 4 GB of RAM (2 GB is installed.)

So if I add 2 GB and this is enough to cope with Windows 7, I'll wait till XP Pro SP3 is no longer supported (April 2014 I believe,) and then change to Windows 7. I also take the point of buying a External USB drive to free up some disk space.

I'm overwhelmed by your responses and I'd like to thank you all for your help.

Mark

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Yes, buy another 2g ram to make 4g but make sure they are compatible. Look at the type of ram you have already in the laptop and buy the same specs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes