We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Apple deliberately trying to damage its market reputation?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

UK judges have ordered the company to replace the statement it published on its website about its design rights dispute with Samsung, The statement was required under the terms of a recent court order, but Samsung complained that it went too far.

The judges agreed, and gave Apple 24 hours to remove it. Lawyers for the company had asked that Apple be allowed 14 days to do it.

I'm not normally known as an Apple critic - I shy away from the kind of mouth-foaming comments that normally appear whenever the company is mentioned in a forum - but on this occasion I'm prompted to wonder what on earth is going on in the minds of the people at Apple HQ who (presumably) approved the original website notice. I read it, and I have to say I sympathise with Samsung's view.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

What I think Apple are doing at the moment is launching any old crap before it's ready while they develop some really revolutionary stuff in the background.

This keeps money rolling in as there's millions of people out there who would happily buy a house brick if it had an Apple logo on it.

This is fine and dandy, but every time a duffer hits the market they lose a few more customers, so they'd better get an amazing product out sooner rather than later...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

OTT_B

"Apple can only trade on name and established reputation for so long. They have to have the products to back it up.From what I am seeing at the moment, it is the recent product innovation that they lack,"

That's an odd thing to say. Apple has a history of innovation that isn't matched by any other technology company. There have been mistakes along the way, but the one thing you can't accuse Apple of is a failure to innovate. The iPad, in particular, has revolutionised the world of portable computing, and has kick-started an entire new market sector. It (the iPad) is still outselling all other tablets by a long way - over 100 million of them have been bought in the past two and a half years. That's a spectacular success story in anyone's book, and it's hardly surprising that the company wants to guard its registered design features with a passion.

That market share will inevitably be eroded by the new kids on the block - new tablets are appearing all the time - and Apple will no doubt respond to that with yet more innovation. Work is ongoing in the Apple product development department, and I'm sure we'll see something in due course.

Meanwhile, the company sold 5 million iPhone 5s in two days following its September launch, and 3 million of the new iPods have sold since its launch at the same time.

There have been 35 billion downloads from the Apple app store, generating $6.5 billion in revenues.

One month after its release, over 200 million iOS devices are running iOS6 - the fastest moving software upgrade in history.

There have been 400 million downloads from the Apple bookstore.

That doesn't sound like a company that's resting on its laurels to me. It sounds like a company that makes premium quality products, and sells them by the truckload because people want to buy them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

alan14

**"What I think Apple are doing at the moment is launching any old crap before it's ready while they develop some really revolutionary stuff in the background. This keeps money rolling in as there's millions of people out there who would happily buy a house brick if it had an Apple logo on it."**

I find it hard to believe that anyone who has the faintest idea about the way the technology market works could come up with statements like that. There has been one big blunder over the Google maps thing, but that's hardly a justification for calling the iPhone 'any old crap'.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

"That's an odd thing to say"

"Work is ongoing in the Apple product development department, and I'm sure we'll see something in due course"

That's just my point and it's that odd at all.

Looking at the iPhone, it has really only undergone iterative changes in the 5 years since its launch. That's not to say that you can put an iPhone 1 and an iPhone 5 together and only notice subtle changes, but when you look at the difference in, say an HTC Dream vs the One range, the differences are vastly more noticeable (not looking at the phone layout, but in performance, functionality and ergonomics)

The iPad, while another smaller version has been released, has been through less of a product life cycle, but again, the 3 versions of the big iPad are iterative over each other and lack (to my mind) progression and innovation. That said and done, the release of the iPad mini really did look like an emergency reaction to the competition, much in the same way as a dozen companies somehow released their own tablets in a matter of weeks after the iPad launched and it became clear that tablets could be viable products. Apple have had to play catch-up.

I haven't accused Apple of lacking past innovation. I'm saying that they are not being as innovative as the competition at the moment, and haven't for the last few years. They have given the competition a chance to catch up, and then followed up by giving breathing space. If Apple product development get it wrong now, they will destroy the trust of the people they depend on to buy content and hardware. The next iPad, and especially the next iPhone, don't need to be as good as the competition, they will need to be markedly better. The last few iPhone releases indicate that this is not likely to be the case.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

OTT_B

We've both had our say. Perhaps the best course now is to wait and see. It's not my job to act as an apologist for any company, least of all Apple. The proof of the pudding, as they say, will be in the eating.

Whatever - the next six months are going to be a testing time for computer manufacturers and retailers, and unless consumers start spending a great deal more money in the market sector we'll see some familiar names having a hard time.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Sigh, Apple do really good design but their 'control freakery' and apparent dislike of admitting 'bad news' (Maps aside) really does drive me away from them. From their point of view locking down the hardware certainly reduces support problems and a lot of consumers seem to accept it. I'm not one of them but good luck to those that are. However, based on the latest shenanigans about this web site notice (More Web Site Hijinks) ),their attitude stinks - wonder what the judeg thinks about it....

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If I was the high court judge I would be infuriated by Apple's juvenile antics in respect of this apology. The link to the new one - the one that the judge ordered to be displayed after the last notice was deemed incorrect - is hidden away right at the bottom of the Apple UK site. You have to hunt for it in order to see it.

It's a petty way for one of the world's largest corporations to act in defeat, and - for me at least - it serves to damage my perception of Apple as a responsible, professional organisation. It will also serve to prolong the debate around this whole issue, which is, I would have thought, the last thing the company wants.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Tell me what major innovations have been brought in since the iPhone 4's retina display.

The 4S was nothing more than a mild refresh, but they whipped up a storm of publicity and the sheep flocked down to the shops to buy it

Same with the iPhone 5, iPad 2 and iPad Mini, underwhelming products that people buy anyway.

I will admit the the iPad (3) screen is a marvel...

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I think one of the problems that Apple has is that their innovations have been so great over the last 5 years or so that it's raised people's expectations of them to such a high level that they simply will not be able to keep living up to that standard forever, and now it seems to be beginning to show.

I might be completely wrong; Apple may shortly announce a new product / feature that is once again market changing, but at the moment they seem to be playing catch up to other manufacturers. I'm half expecting the next big feature in the iPhone 5S / 6 to be NFC support and mobile payments - a feature that has been present in the Google Nexus range since the Nexus S released in 2010, among many other devices released since then. No doubt it will be done in a much more complete way which will have massive market take up; something Google has so far failed to achieve with Google Wallet. Or of course it could be something completely different that only the imaginative mind of Apple could conjure!

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Sounds like someone at Apple realised that shooting themselves in the foot with the other barrel wasn't terribly productive and, as FE suggested, wouldn't amuse the judge. Apple quietly pulls apology hiding code

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...