We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Apple deliberately trying to damage its market reputation?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

UK judges have ordered the company to replace the statement it published on its website about its design rights dispute with Samsung, The statement was required under the terms of a recent court order, but Samsung complained that it went too far.

The judges agreed, and gave Apple 24 hours to remove it. Lawyers for the company had asked that Apple be allowed 14 days to do it.

I'm not normally known as an Apple critic - I shy away from the kind of mouth-foaming comments that normally appear whenever the company is mentioned in a forum - but on this occasion I'm prompted to wonder what on earth is going on in the minds of the people at Apple HQ who (presumably) approved the original website notice. I read it, and I have to say I sympathise with Samsung's view.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

This is refeshing to read. I have always felt that you would not allow any criticism of Apple and have refrained from saying anything negative about Apple, of which I have a few, knowing you are in the background monitoring comments. Apple tends to go OTT with their lawsuits.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rickf

"I have always felt that you would not allow any criticism of Apple"

Criticise as much as you like - it's not my job stop that. What I find irritating is when people feel they have to post derogatory comments about companies whenever they see the name mentioned, because they have an entrenched bias. It doesn't just happen with Apple - Microsoft gets it as well.

By all means make negative comments, but please try to make them specific and avoid the usual monotonous 'I wouldn't have an Apple product on principle' mantra. That kind of thing just provokes others into joining one of those endless 'yes they are, no they aren't' arguments.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

One does ge8 the impression, probably erroneously, that Apple see Europe as a bit of a sidelin6, just as Microsoft once did, to its cost.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Apple seem to believe that the world revolves around them, and that they are entitled to do just as they please. This view is only reinforced by several court cases across the world that have gone their way.

Thankfully one has now gone against them and they've thrown their toys out of the pram.

Marks & Spencer were in a similar position in the 80's, when the management had some very odd ideas, like no automatic doors, and a refusal to install public toilets in stores because it was the council's job to provide public toilets. Then a new breed of retailer hit the high street and M&S sales started to slip.

M&S shareholders turfed out the management and the whole company was turned around.

Now with Apple I think a similar point has been reached, there are many Android phones that beat the pants of the iPhone, they've made a major blunder by launching iOS 6 before it was ready, there are a number of tablets that have better resolution and features than the iPad and at long last a judge has seen beyond the Apple lawyers' smoke & mirrors.

This can only be a good thing for everyone - it's driven development of Android & Windows mobile devices, and Apple will hopefully have a reality check and realised they've been taking their customers for a very expensive ride for a couple of generations and bring out something as genuinely stunning as their products used to be.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I'm not sure why they would be doing it deliberately. I think they are panicking and not handling competition/pressure very well though.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I am inclined to think that Apple, accustomed as they are to huge success, whatever they sell, have become complacent and think they can foist anything on the public and we will buy in our millions. A consequence, perhaps, of losing the driving force of innovation that was Steve Jobs.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

I don't think Apple can be accused of operating a policy of foisting anything on the public. The company has been responsible for some of the world's iconic computing devices, people have bought them in their millions because the products are the best in their class - often the first in their class.

Apple has made mistakes - Steve Jobs presided over some pretty awful product launches, so it isn't his absence that lead to the issue I posted about.

That is an example of bad management right at the top - the original notice on the Apple site should never have been approved for publication. I realised it when I saw it, and so did many others, it stood out a mile as a big case of sour grapes. Samsung was right to complain, and the judges were right to react as they did. I hope Apple has learnt a lesson.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I hope Apple has learnt a lesson.

I doubt it very much. They may very well print what is required but the Company is probably still thinking what right have the EU to try to tell us how to run our Company. That stand might also get some sympathy in the USA. When I had a very legitimate complaint about an Apple product I bought overseas you have no idea the amount of verbal abuse I got from their help site for daring to complain. I eventually managed to get a telephone number in Dublin which is not widely publicised, if at all, and when I saw others also trying to get help from within the UK I put the number on site to yet again me met with abuse from their so called help site.

Eventually I put the matter in the hands of my bank as I purchased said item using my credit card and I received a full refund in due course, plus no one asked for faulty item back, so it was win win for me as I got it fixed next time I went overseas but the taste remains in my mouth.

Changing that sort of attitude to people is not easy to do in the short term.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

There is no bigger fan if Apple products than me. I buy them because they work better than any other computer I have owned both in terms of their hardware and software. Yes you pay more but as is often the case quality comes at a premium.

That said I have been underwhelmed by the iPhone5, the S3 seems a better around package. Of greater concern is the Mini iPad, at £269 for 16GB it seem unjustifiably overpriced when compared to the £200 Nexus 7 32GB.

Putting that together with the debacle over the Samsung apology, the removal if the two executives and the Mapping App there have to be concerns that all us not well in Cupertino.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

I can understand that Apple are fiercely protective about the technologies that underpin their products, but as one commentator pointed out, Apple have delivered Samsung a multi billion dollar marketing campaign, through court cases that the mainstream press give high profile coverage world over. The incident of the court ordered 'apology' has dealt yet another winning hand to Samsung.

I'm known, at least in some circles, as anti-Apple but in reality this is not the case (I just enjoy taking the mick out of Apple fan-bois!). I actually quite like the iPhone and the iPad. They're both good, if not great. Quite whether they're better than the competition now is a different matter. Put a OneX and an iPhone 5 side by side, and looking at hardware and ergonomics alone, you'll have a hard time deciding which one is best, if you're open to the decision. But there's the problem. I've left out a critical part of the equation in buying a phone (or tablet) - content.

Apple seem to be backing themselves into a corner through their product and business strategy. If you want a phone from Apple, and therefore content from the App Store, then you can either have a new iPhone or an old iPhone. This is great if you want to tie people to your company, but does no good for consumer choice. It will only take one or two 'bad' products from Apple to cause a backlash. Suddenly you can have a large group of people who have paid for content, but aren't offered a device that they want to use. That is a recipe for disaster.

I'm not talking about bad as in the Maps debacle. I'm talking bad as in a situation where they are no where near the competition in terms of the design standards of the product. Perhaps it could result from a major breakthrough from Samsung or Huawei, or maybe it could be a slow but continuous drift as Apple's competition improves more rapidly than itself.

Apple can only trade on name and established reputation for so long. They have to have the products to back it up. From what I am seeing at the moment, it is the recent product innovation that they lack, and all of the court cases going on are only serving to show this to the fee paying public (the major offset to this is the blatant bias of a lot of the press, but that is a different issue).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad