We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which tablet PC should I consider for my parents?

SharonGilmore

Likes # 0

I'd like to buy my parents a tablet PC for Christmas. They have a laptop, but they're not that great at using the mouse, and they get frustrated that it takes so long to start up. They've used iPads before and seemed to get the hang of them pretty well. My mum is fairly tech-savvy, as she uses a computer in work, and my dad is ok as long as stuff is explained to him!

They would most likely use it for surfing the web, maybe buying things from Amazon, showing off photos, watching iPlayer, reading the odd book and possibly listening to music. If it had a camera card slot so they could just copy photos straight from the camera, that'd be great, but it's not a big problem if not, as they can transfer them from the laptop.

I'm looking at the iPad 2 (the new iPad is way over budget), but wondered whether there are decent alternatives? I think they need a decent screen size, so something like the Nexus 7 would be too small, I think. It needs to be reasonably easy to download apps (so I can talk them through it over the phone!); the range of apps is not critical, as long as the basics are there.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 1

You say the Nexus 7 is too small - are you aware that the Nexus 10 has just been announced and is due to be released very shortly? Have a look at it at here:

www.google.co.uk/nexus

It is built to take on the ipad 4, but priced much more competitively at £319.

Like this post
SharonGilmore

Likes # 0

Thanks, that looks good... I'll check out reviews once it's on sale. I was impressed by the Nexus 7, but was mainly concerned that the screen size was too small, so that looks like a great option.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Everything I have seen and heard about the Nexus 10 has been good. On the face of it the new Nexus is going to mount a serious challenge to the iPad.

The 32gb version - which is the one you'll really want - will sell for £389, making it £90 cheaper than the iPad.

It doesn't (currently) come with 3G, so connectivity is limited to WiFi networks and hotspots. That's a deterrent as far as I'm concerned, but your parents will probably not need to be online in the middle of a field.

It's thin, it's light, it's powerful, and the display quality is superb. Providing the build quality is up to scratch, what's not to like? For your purposes it would be ideal - and that's coming from an iPad owner!

You can read more about the Nexus 10 here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room