We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tablet Gift Dilemna

Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I have got myself out of my depth. My sister thought my father was thinking about a tablet for my mother for Xmas or her birthday which is a couple of weeks off. He is not, but muggins here suggested we consider getting one from the three of us. So, my father, who is even less techy than yours truly, decided I should make a comparison with tangible, objective tech specs for him to look at, assuming money is no object.

Thing is, I've started making a comparison chart, and I don't think it'll help him much. Also, whilst I agree with his instinct that you should be able to just look at a spec sheet, many don't buy that way (if they did, that Samaung with a rear camera and expandable memory would outsell the Nexus - even I went for the latter).

So far I have listed: Kindle Fire HD (they have an old Kindle); iPad, iPad Mini, Nexus 7 (I won't forget the new ones to be announced); Asus Transformer and the Samsung Galaxy 2.

To try and speed things up, I'm listing the best specs only, as I can explain the rest verbally, and find any other information needed later.

Not sure what I'm asking really, just any thoughts to see if I can develop a bit more clarity.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

FE, I think he was referring to the Nexus 10, not the Nexus 7.

When I posted the link yesterday, I'm almost certain it listed detailed specs of the machine (I read them!). They don't seem to be on there anymore, but you can see them on Wikipedia's page.

As for the Apple vs Microsoft, you have a point. I was under the impression that Microsoft was not nearly as bad, but having looked in to it I am disappointed to see that, for example, a movie purchased through the Video app will only work on Microsoft devices. I would have liked to have seen a more open (protected) format that could be used on Android devices too. Having looked through some history, I can see that the Zune marketplace and players were just as restrictive as Apple's iTunes and iPod back in the days of DRM. I always thought they used the same Play-For-Sure .wma DRM as all of the other online music sellers and MP3 players, but that is not the case.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Seems I was mistaken too.

Wikipedia's page for Microsoft's Surface.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Thanks D@ve.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger