We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tablet Gift Dilemna

Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I have got myself out of my depth. My sister thought my father was thinking about a tablet for my mother for Xmas or her birthday which is a couple of weeks off. He is not, but muggins here suggested we consider getting one from the three of us. So, my father, who is even less techy than yours truly, decided I should make a comparison with tangible, objective tech specs for him to look at, assuming money is no object.

Thing is, I've started making a comparison chart, and I don't think it'll help him much. Also, whilst I agree with his instinct that you should be able to just look at a spec sheet, many don't buy that way (if they did, that Samaung with a rear camera and expandable memory would outsell the Nexus - even I went for the latter).

So far I have listed: Kindle Fire HD (they have an old Kindle); iPad, iPad Mini, Nexus 7 (I won't forget the new ones to be announced); Asus Transformer and the Samsung Galaxy 2.

To try and speed things up, I'm listing the best specs only, as I can explain the rest verbally, and find any other information needed later.

Not sure what I'm asking really, just any thoughts to see if I can develop a bit more clarity.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've got a tablet (iPad) but I wouldn't use it to take photos. The camera is useful for skype, etc. However if you transfer photos to a tablet it can be a good way of showing them especially if hooked up to the TV. But they do have to be transferred to the tablet.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

What is your opinion on the Samsung Note 10"1 Android 4 ?/ just tried one even though the specs appear to be minimal it is a very good product.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Google have announced their new Nexus range today. The Nexus 7 has had its storage upgraded so it now comes in 16GB and 32 GB options at £169 and £199 respectively. The Nexus 10 has also been revealed and looks a very nice machine indeed, and clearly aimed at taking on the iPad 4. It starts at £319. Take a look here.

If it was for me, it would be between the Nexus 10 and the Microsoft Surface. That's because I find for home use that a 10" screen gives a better user experience than a 7" screen. If portability is a major issue then this is not the case.

I'm personally not a fan of Apple products. While being beautifully built, I object to the control that Apple exerts over its products which allows for very little competition. You very quickly get pushed into an Apple only world.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Correction

The 16GB Nexus 7 is now £159.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

D@ve

"I object to the control that Apple exerts over its products which allows for very little competition"

And yet you say you are considering the Microsoft Surface, which is designed to do exactly the same thing.

Apple isn't unique in its attempt to hold onto a userbase, although actually its products meet with plenty of competition, as the current tablet market illustrates only too well. The thing is, at the moment there's nothing to touch the iPad, which is why it sells in such huge numbers, despite the price point and the competition. There's nothing wrong in being tied to the best device in its class as far as I'm concerned.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Glad there's oinfo out there on the Nexus after the launch event was put off due to the hurricane. But that site doesn't seem to tell me about connections and hard, tangible feature-facts...I must admit I haven't looked exhaustively...

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Re KIndle, has anyone seen Watchdog last week. It seems there is an inherent problem. The screen freezes and it appears it dies just before the year is out. Not scaremongering or doing Kindle down but just reporting what I had seen.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"But that site doesn't seem to tell me about connections and hard, tangible feature-facts"

Have you seen This?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

rickf

I have had a Kindle since the start and had no problems at all. Watchdog said " hundreds" had problems. I am sure Amazon has sold 10's of thousands so it needs to be put into perspective !!! Hardly an inherent problem.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Thanks FE, but I meant the link to the Surface.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more