We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Views on this monitor

Denzil056

Likes # 0

So looking to buy a monitor for my new setup, using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 gpu. this is the monitor:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DGM-IPS-2701WPH-Widescreen-IPS-Monitor/dp/B008PD9BWM/ref=sr14?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1351165473&sr=1-4

Was also wondering why it doesn't say what refresh rate it has, i'm pretty new to buying monitors so that might be a stupid question.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Here is a very in depth review of monitor if you have not already seen it.

The official website lists it refresh rate as 60-75Hz. I wouldn't worry too much about that though; Windows will automatically set the refresh rate (probably to 60Hz) which will be fine. LCDs do not suffer from flicker like the old CRTs did.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

It's also worth pointing out that choosing a monitor by comparing specs holds little value. The only important specs you can rely on are:

Size

Resolution

Panel Type (IPS is the generally the best, and that is what you have chosen).

All of the other specs are measured by such flawed methods that they are practically meaningless. The only way to judge one is to either read a proper review (one by someone with dedicated testing equipment), or to try them out yourself for real.

Customer reviews hold some value, but you'll find most people will rate their own model highly (unless there is something drastically wrong with it) as they have nothing else to compare it to.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If I was Paying that kind of money It would need to be able to Talk To Me. Where is the touch screen bit, that's needed for new technology.

I use a 32" Led TV as a monitor on one of my pc's

Like this post
Denzil056

Likes # 0

The thing is, for my setup at the moment i have a AOC i2352Vh monitor. This has a 60hz refresh rate. This means when i am on WoW the screen "tears" a lot. If i set vertical sync on the game caps fps at about 60. This means instead of being at around 100fps and sometimes dropping to about 70 it is at 60 fps and sometimes drops to about 30, which you can notice in game. I want to make sure I get a monitor that can take advantage of my GTX 680, preferably 27 inch and as cheap as possible, obviously it isn't going to be really cheap but just the lowest possible price that meets what I want

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

The first thing you'd have to check is whether World of Warcraft supports 75Hz. The computer I'm on at the moment blocks all the websites I've tried to check unfortunately. I'm not sure how vSync would work with 75Hz - it works by limiting the FPS to factor of 2^x of your refresh rate, i.e. for 60HZ it can use 60, 30, 15 etc. As 75 is an odd number, I'd imagine it may cause a problem if the FPS ever drops below 75.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more