We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which monitor is best?

Denzil056

Likes # 0

Basically I am about to build my new computer and the last thing i need to pick is the monitor. I want to spend about £200-£300 on this and would prefer a 27 inch. The 2 I have looked at so far are:

Asus VK278Q LCD Monitor 27-inch http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VK278Q-Monitor-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0041VDCL8/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1350995141&sr=8-1

and

AOC I2757FM 27 inch Widescreen IPS LED Multimedia Monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008L5OGKQ/ref=s9simhsep147d0i1?pfrdm=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pfrds=auto-no-results-center-1&pfrdr=E68D3F81C9B04760BDFB&pfrdt=301&pfrdp=240112507&pfrd_i=i2757fh

If you can think of any other monitors in the price range that may be better that would be great too. I plan to use the pc mainly for gaming. Not sure if it helps at all but the rest of my setup is: NZXT Phantom USB 3.0 Big Tower Chassis - Black Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R 8GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 Vengeance Memory - Red Seagate ST31000524AS 3.5 inch Barracuda 1TB GB 7200rpm SATA Drive with 32MB Buffer OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-120G Agility 3 120GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD Corsair CP-9020003-UK Enthusiast Series TX750M 750 Watt Power Supply Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, ATX, Intel Z77 Express, USB 3.0, CrossFireX Support, Dual Intelligent Processors 3) Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0) Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 680 DirectCU II OC Graphics Card

Any extra input on the build would be great too, was also kind of wondering if the stock cpu cooler is good enough. I know if i decide to OC (which is why i picked the K series) in the future I will need a better one, but will the stock be ok with everything left how it comes? thanks in advance for any help.

Like this post
Denzil056

Likes # 0

Er I have no idea why all my new lines went away :S

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Between monitors, in terms of performance, the AOC looks slightly better, however, it has limited connectivity (no DVI), and limited adjustability ( no height, limited tilt), so I would say "a bit swings and roundabouts".

What does make me wonder, slightly, they are both only 1080p, which tends to make your GTX 680 not the best value. A decent GTX 670 has very close performance, at that res., and can even best the 680, with modest overclocking, for a lot lower cost.

The V-LX motherboard is OK, but the plain V is better, to justify extra cost. Better OC and support for 2nd GPU, should you ever want one.

The OCZ Agility 3, isn't very good. Their Vertex 4 is nice. Samsung 830, or Crucial M4 also good.

Stock cooler OK until you overclock, but would recommend you use a low profile RAM, so your choices of cooler aren't limited, when you do. Corsair CML, or GSKill Ares OK.

Like this post
Denzil056

Likes # 0

hmm ok. what kind of monitor should I look for to get the best from the gpu?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

At 1080p, the framerates you will get from GTX670 and GTX680, in most games, are so close, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. In fact, a good GTX670 is likely to be slightly better, than a basic GTX680.

Even at higher resolutions, like 1440p or 1600p, the difference is still small, but as the actual framerates will be a bit lower, than at 1080p, a relatively small framerate difference may be slightly more noticeable.

If you want, in the future, to go to a 3 monitor rig, each at 1080p, THEN it does make sense to use a GTX680, and add a 2nd GTX680, for the 3 monitors. Even then, there isn't a huge difference between the two.

The point really is that, for most set-ups, the GTX680 is rarely more than 5% better than GTX670, which just doesn't justify the extra cost.

If you want to splash out on a monitor, like a Dell U2711, to get a tiny bit more benefit, from a GTX680, of course it's your choice, it is a very good monitor, but not exactly cheap.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I have a simular rig to your planned build . I wnt for the ASUSVG278 With built in 3D , Best decision I made , 3D gaming is great , and with Cyberlink ultra , DVDs and Bluray in 3D too . Also use it as a TV too . AS a rule of thumb , I always try to spend tabout the same on the monitor as I do on the graphics card , otherwise , as previous posters have mentioned , you are just not using the 680 to its full potential and wasting cash that could be used to upgrade something else . Good luck with the build

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED