We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cancled minimum payment?

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

My son was telling me last night that his bank have charged him £12 for a letter and a strike has gone against him for credit worthiness.

He was upset by this and has tried to get the £12 reimbursed and strike removed but to no avail.

He set up a minimum payment many years ago to cover this kind of mishap.

A minimum payment of £5 would have covered the oversight.

The reply was that over the years he had cleared payments before interest could be charged to his cards.

The card company decided he didn’t need the safety of the minimum payment and cancelled it. He said thats why I set it up so it would cover against any mishap

They did say they wrote and informed him but he has no recollection of the letter.

Like a lot of us to day we use our cards as a temporary loan buy items when shopping but pay off the sum before interest can be added.

Others abuse there cards and are in consent debt who the bank seem to love.

Any advice.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I would suggest he contact the Financial Ombudsman and/or the FSA for advice as it would appear action has been taken on his account (the cancellation) without his consent.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The card company decided he didn’t need the safety of the minimum payment and cancelled it."

It's not up to the card provider to do that, and I've never heard of it happening. Has your son asked to see a copy of the letter that was sent to him?

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I have forwarded you replies to my son, thank you.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Reply from bank by phone, It stopped automatically due to him always paying cc before any interest went on.

I also found this [Credit rating see no 2].

How ever I have told him to insist on a copy of the letter sent and type talk on line with the bank for more information, and copy conversation.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

It was on the 26th May 2012 that the minimum payment was canceled by the bank.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You say that your son set up the minimum payment arrangement "many years ago", but that "over the years he had cleared payments before interest could be charged to his cards."

So in effect, the minimum payment has never operated. The bank discarded the mandate because it hadn't been used. It sounds odd to me, I haven't encountered this situation before. If the bank says it sent a letter on a specific date the chances are very high that it did, and seeing a copy of it isn't really going to alter the situation.

Your son needs to talk to the bank to resolve this - the bank can remove the late-payment strike from his credit record, if they agree that there are grounds for doing so.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks