We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Asus and Ebuyer

glynnw

Likes # 0

I bought an Asus Crossahair 4 motherboard 18 months ago which has developed a fault. I contacted ASUS and they told me I had to send it back to my supplier which was Ebuyer and they would return it to them. I returned the motheboard and after 3 weeks Ebuyer agreed it was faulty. They did not send it back to Asus. The would only offer me a percentage of the price I paid for it. I phoned Asus and they say that they can repair it. So I contacted Ebuyer to ask for them to send it back to Asus and they refused. What do I do?

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Seems like a bit of awkwardness and inflexibility on ebuyer's part... Unless someone comes up with a better solution I'd be tempted to post in ebuyer's own forum - a lot of their staff are active on there and I've seem many issues resolved by simply being read by the right person that is prepared to put in that extra bit of effort for a particular issue.

An example that springs to mind was someone that had bought a case + PSU combo where the PSU turned out to be faulty. They phoned ebuyer and were told they had to return both PSU and case as it was sold as a single item, even though the customer had already built their PC. The customer then posted about it on the forum where someone higher up read it and realised it was both a waste of time and money for both parties, so told the customer call back and tell whoever they spoke to that 'Kirby' had authorised the customer to return the PSU only.

Like this post
glynnw

Likes # 0

This is not the first time I have had trouble with returns with Ebuyer. They are basically reluctant to change anything if it is over a year old and totaly disregard manufacturers guide lines. You always have a fight on your hands to get anything changed. It's the last time I deal with them.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Have you explained the situation to ASUS? Maybe they will allow you to send it directly to them once they're aware that ebuyer won't. I can't really see what difference it should make to them. Also, out of interest, what percentage are ebuyer offering as a refund if you don't mind me asking?

Like this post
glynnw

Likes # 0

It would seem that Asus have now changed there mind about repairing the board and have told me I have to take the money offered by Ebuyer. THe board cost me £157.00 and they are offering me £116.00 so I loose again. I once had a Weston Digital hard drive from Ebuyer which turned up faulty and they would not let me return it. It took a long phone call (@10p a minute)to get them to change there mind. I thought that the Law stated that the company you bought the product from was responsible for the warrenty up to 12 months. If so how do Ebuyer get away with it.

Like this post
glynnw

Likes # 0

I've just realised I forgot to say when I first contacted ASUS they told me that I had to contact Ebuyer and then proceeded to give me the number for the Citizens Advice Bureau which I found most strange

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

What do I do?

First of all, you need to find out why, if the motherboard is faulty, Ebuyer is refusing to replace or repair it. They have inspected the board, declared it to be faulty, but they won't replace it - there must be a reason.

Sales of goods via a website are covered by the Distance Selling regulations, but goods which fail after the manufacturer's warranty has expired are normally dealt with under the provisions of the Sale of Goods Act. This says that an item must be 'fit for purpose', and as long as you have used it for its intended purpose you may look to the original supplier to repair or replace it, should it fail during the period that it may reasonably be expected to last.

The problem is, it may be up to you to argue that the fault hasn't occurred through misuse; it's much harder to argue that point, the longer the period between purchase and failure.

From what you say, Ebuyer hasn't alleged misuse, so I can only assume that the reduced payment offer relates to the fact that the board has had 18 months of use. You need to find that out.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

I'd have to say that, in my opinion, after 18 months use, I'd feel the offered payout was generous in the extreme. Have you looked for the current price of the closest replacement board?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room