We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the best PC I can get for £420 budget?

ryanroks1

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

I am after buying my son a new desktop computer for Christmas. £420 is the maximum I can go really, and I'd prefer it about £400. He is always on his computer, and doesn't do much extreme gaming but he says he wants a good spec one, with about 8GB RAM and an i5 processor I believe. He already has the keyboard and monitor etc, so it's just the computer we need. Also, it needs to have built in windows 7 64-BIT. I have searched online and I'm really not good at finding them, and the PC can come from anyway. It would be great if you can find something to fit my budget :)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Found this but like yourself not up to date with computers.

Amazon Uk

You get free delivery with them.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Onboard graphics with that machine. It depends on what games your son wants to play. Have a look at the recommended (not minimum) specs for the games. I think that you may struggle to get a good gaming machine within your budget.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is the nearest I could find. Bear in mind it has 'onboard' graphics and only 4GB ram. Both upgradable later on.

Chillblast. Worth a look.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

To be honest, it can't be done, using i5, 8GB RAM, and decent other components. Chillblast are as good as anyone, as reasonable builders, but they can only get close, with 4GB of RAM, and using PSU and case that are far from brilliant. If you were to build it yourself, it would just about be possible, using modest, but reasonable quality components. Even then, if you wanted to include a modest graphics card, to give some sort of gaming capability, you'd be around £500+ mark. Using an i3, instead of i5, building yourself, you are closer to it being a possibility, but for someone else to build it, it's either going to cost more, or they will have to use cheap components. Please beware of offers on sites, like eBay, claiming to give what you want, cheap. If they look too good to be true, they undoubtedly are!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

frybluff , I agree but at least it has a 500 Watt PSU. Upgrading to 8 gig ram not all that expensive (Crucial) and ,say, adding something like GeForce GTX 550Ti, about £80, at a later date will give a reasonable PC for the cost. ryanroks1 said that it is not for 'extreme gaming' that's why I suggested this particular base unit for the price.

Like this post
ryanroks1

Likes # 0

I have manged to find this one, but I'm not sure if it's good. Anyone have an opnion?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SpherePC-Intel-Core-i5-Quad-Core-3570-3-4GHz-8GB-DDR3-RAM-1TB-HDD-Windows-7-PC-/320987214488?pt=UKComputingDesktopPCs&hash=item4abc543298

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is their site and contact details, click here

This is a list of PCs on offer, click here

Can't find the same PC on their own site under 'red edition'.

No mention of the PSU wattage. If you feel that it's worth using Ebay then I suggest you email them asking about the PSU and how they propose to honour the superb warranty they offer if things go belly up.

Be careful.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The point is, take that eBay system. It's got a decent processor. The rest of it is a piece of junk. What's probably a £10 chinese import case and PSU. A motherboard that's TWO generations old, and won't allow half the cababilities of the processor to be used. Some unspecified Kingston 1333MHz RAM. Sata TWO hard drive (all the mobo, presumably can use), no USB 3.0. Even though you can get a decent, name brand optical drive, for £15, even that's not specified. OP's best option is to forget i5, at the budget, and look for something decent with i3-3220. Then he stands a chance of getting some sort of quality, in or around budget. He might even be able to squeeze in a modest graphics card, like HD7770, or HD7750, which would give reasonable gaming capability, if not at Ultra settings.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's why I went for Chillblast's offer. CPU is better. Ram and GPU can be updated later. PSU is sufficient. Possibly ram won't need to be updated as 4 gig is reasonable for use I think. The cost of delivery should be added but I can't find it at Chillblast's site.

As they say, all that glitters is not gold.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I totally agree that, if OP wants a decent quality PC that will have any reliability (or real warranty), he should buy from a firm, like Chillblast, than some "unknown", on eBay. The suggested build, from Chillblast, is the nearest OP is likely to get, to his wishlist, within budget. Even then, I would suggest it really wants better case, power supply, and RAM. I'm particularly concerned about PSU. It can't be complete junk, or a firm like Chillblast wouldn't use it. However, judging by what they are charging EXTRA for a known decent PSU, like the BeQuiet, the basic one must be REALLY cheap. Trouble is, of course, those upgrades would take cost near to £500, and still wouldn't have a separate graphics card. I know OP says son is not into "extreme" gaming, but, without some sort of GPU, it won't even do modest gaming. We don't know son's age, or how sensible/realistic he may be, but we all know the "average" teenager's first thought, on getting a new computer. "Will it play Battlefield 3?". OP's son may, of course, be different. The only way to get a decent performing, good quality PC, that will last, and be capable of modest gaming, around budget, would be to use i3, and self-build, or get parts, and get a competent friend, or someone, to build it, for modest cost.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015