We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freecycle

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think I've had it with Freecycle/Freegle and their derivatives.

Yet again, for the third or fourth time I've waited for someone who failed to show, picked from over 100 responses.

In the past I've had abuse because the fully working dishwasher they came for had a perished inlet hose, I've been asked to deliver (many times) and been told they didn't really want the item but it seemed "too good an opportunity to miss".

I've come round to think the skip is a lot less trouble.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Why?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Because it's a Consumer-related matter, and I prefer to have it here.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Wherever this thread goes it would be a pity not to restart it. I share morddwyd's idea of placing this in Speaker's Corner because the thread is more chat than substance. Not motivated to argue

morddwyd you must live in an 'unsympathetic' area. Our local Freecycle brigade shows little sign of trouble except to a few who add 'no time wasters' to their post. Some even stipulate "No carboot sellers." Why not?

Always a squirrel keeping things which might be useful ---- Have had people collect an ancient bike, a bundle of a dozen trolley wheels, a box full of mains electric motors and of course an Epson printer with a useless print head. The years of surplus plums are a no-brainer except for an almost total crop failure this year.

Have had a nifty little clock radio It goes the opposite side of the bed so that whichever eye I open first will see the time. It had a damaged backup battery holder which hot glue mended. A small but very powerful vacuum cleaner (for my workshop) which it seems was not suitable for his van.

OK it all may finish at the tip, but will have given an extended lease of life in the interval Only one that I can remember lost interest, but there's always one.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Perhaps another problem with Scotland? (tongue in cheek!)

In Devon I've used Refurnish Devon without any problem. They took my duff fridge freezer.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

I appreciate that, I was just a little confused.

It has nothing to do with "what to buy and where to buy it ... which supplier to use? supplier treated (me) badly, or .... current consumer legislation." and doesn't involve money in any form.

It has everything to do with unreasonable and selfish behaviour by ordinary people, which is usually a fairly widely debated subject in SC.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Woolwell

We have something similar, that accepts and redistributes stuff, which I ten to use for bigger items.

Freecycle/Freegle is simply between individuals, and I suppose tens of thousand use it with gratitude.

Perhaps, as has been suggested, I live in a bad area.

I qualify for three, perhaps I should try the other two!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

There's no telling whether something you give away will later be sold on ebay or at a car boot. I like to think that, most of the time, the items go to someone who is grateful for an item that they can't afford to buy. That is my experience (I hope) in North Shropshire where I live.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Tech consumer? Thought this was about the modern 'jumble sale'?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I'm a little apprehensive about my local Freegle group, as the greater majority of the posts seem to be from people requesting items rather than offering them. There is often a list of items requested seemingly from the same person.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen