We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recommend a good reliable desktop manufacturer

tims31

Likes # 0

Hi all,

As the subject line suggests, can anyone please recommend a good reliable desktop manufacturer. I'm in the market for a new desktop to replace my ageing Mesh PC which has been great and upgraded over the years but is now just too slow for my needs and think i will avoid Mesh after the horror stories I've heard lately. It will mostly be used for webdesign, graphics, photos and watching TV/iplayer.

Tales good and bad please, thanks in advance.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

This is Which?s list Novatech have a very good reputation.

Personally, I've always used High Street brands - currently an HP - with no problems. As with Antivirus programmes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so expect numerous favorites!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I always use Novatech, my latest purchase there was a shiny new laptop to replace an ancient desktop. First Class service and absolutely no bloatware, just the OS. Prices are great too. Give them a call, they will make to your own specs if that is what you want - or just buy 'off-the-shelf'.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Chillblast have been getting very good reviews. I bought one from them 9 months ago and had quick delivery and no reason to contact after-sales. The installed software was minimal.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Dell, HP, Asus, Lenovo, Sony, Compaq

All make good machines, and all are reliable. There are plenty of other, smaller suppliers as well, and I'm sure forum members will have their own recommendations.

Computer companies are not computer manufacturers in the strict sense of the word - they assemble computers from readily obtainable components, although some of them make their own cases. What it comes down to in the end is price, and of course customer service, and its in that second area that a smaller company can often have the edge.

That's why a personal recommendation can be valuable, but bear in mind that the vast majority of those who buy a new computer never have to find out about customer service - modern, well assembled machines tend to work from day one, and go on working for a long time.

Like this post
tims31

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, I have used Novatech before and the pricing is good so will check that out. Have also heard good things about Chillblast and looking at their specs they seem like good machines.

Thanks for all the advice

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data