We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

eBay purchase potential problem

rickf

Likes # 0

I bought icore 5 laptop using BIN and paid immediately last Sunday. I emailed through eBay Msg to arrange date of posting and some further details. Had no response for 3 days. Altogeher sent 4 emails w/o a reply which raised my suspicion. Raise a dispute with PP on Wed. Then suddenly got a reply that her ipad was down which was why I didn't get a reply. This was strange as I presumed she could have responded using the laptop she was selling. Agreed to send on following Tuesday but she wanted me to close the dispute. I won't do this as I would then lose all my protection rights and would not be able to raise another dispute as per PP rules. So now no reply to my email stating that the dispute would be closed on Wed when I have received the laptop. I have been scammed once when I waited too long to raise a dispute and the seller had transfered the payment out of PP into his bank a/c and disappeared/ deregistered. If I don't get the laptop by Wed, I'll escalate the dispute to a claim to get my money back. What do you think? I want to trust her but I also have to protect myself.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

You are wise not to close the dispute until you have got the laptop and checked that it works properly etc. The seller sounds very lax. she could use any computer to log into ebay and reply to your messages and keep you up to date.

What is the feedback score and comments left for the seller like?

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Marg7 Yes, I agree. She was registered in 2011 and 38 feedbacks mainly purchases of cosmetic items and one sale. I don't normally buy from people with few feedbacks re sales but in this instance I somehow gave this person the benefit of the doubt. Hope it's not to my regret. Thanks for the support.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I'd reassure her that having sent the laptop by recorded delivery, she could prove the item was delivered and therefore you'd have no choice but to close the dispute. If she's not willing to accept those terms then you'll just have to reclaim your money and go elsewhere. Certainly suspicious.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

And make sure you check the goods before signing for them!

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

After many exchanges of email it is now on it's way to me today. Lets see when it arrives.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

All is well.Laptop arrived yesterday by 24hr service. Very well packed and the laptop is in almost new condition. the problem has been caused by the seller's somewhat lackadaisical appraoch. I am relieved.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I'm pleased to hear that all was well in the end.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features