We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cold chips

Macscouse
Resolved

Likes # 0

This afternoon, whilst out in the car, we stopped in a small Highland town, and seeing a chipshop, decided we fancied a takeaway. I always ask for a chip before they are wrapped up, as I hate cold chips. The chipshop owner wasn't very happy when I said that the chips were too cool to be enjoyed. He did cook some more, but it got me to wondering, was he breaking the law by selling cool chips?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

D@ve - if your pasty is now kept warm it is subject to VAT. BBC

Chips are subject to VAT.

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Maybe a bit of poetic licence! Still worth the wait though.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Sounds like the small Suffolk town that FE "sometimes spends long weekends in" is Southwold, there is only one all year fish and chip shop and it is quiet poor!

Travel a few miles north to the village of Kessingland and you will find a much better chippy! Or maybe even just a few miles further to southern Lowestoft, where you will find even more excellent fish and chip shops :-)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Miké

No, not Southwold. I agree with you about that fish and chip shop, and I've never seen a queue outside.

This is the one I referred to

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE...why are the staff holding giant 'mange tout' pea pods, in the picture...or are those the size fish (suppers) on sale?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I reckon that the (potato-headed chip) consumer will have to pay more for their 'bag of chips' because of the poor potato harvest [this year] and yet another rise in energy bills.[increasing shop overheads]

Currently 'a bag of chips' is &1.65 for a small portion & £1.95 for a large portion at my local Mario's Fish 'n' Chip shop, in Glasgow (southside). (works out about 8p a chip ... on average).

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Anyone lucky enough to visit Callander in the Trossachs, will find two chipshops. One is usually empty, and the other, a pokey little shop that holds no more than ten people queuing, is teeming. A ten minute wait is normal, and it is situated a minute's walk from the car park at the river, where there are plenty of benches and litter bins galore, all stuffed with chip wrappers. Six people behind the counter, working flat out. No cold chips there. Well worth the wait.

FE Can you do the honours, and tick this resolved, please. Like my dad Bingalau, I have no way to resolve a thread.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Our local chippy often wins "Best in UK" or "Best in Scotland" (the last time it changed hands, about ten years ago, it was for £1.6m, that's a lot of fish and chips to sell!) and summertime Sundays queues are regularly an hour or more, sometimes two (and that is not "poetic licence"!.

They do a nice piece of fish, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I stand for two hours for a fish supper!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...