We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cold chips

Macscouse
Resolved

Likes # 0

This afternoon, whilst out in the car, we stopped in a small Highland town, and seeing a chipshop, decided we fancied a takeaway. I always ask for a chip before they are wrapped up, as I hate cold chips. The chipshop owner wasn't very happy when I said that the chips were too cool to be enjoyed. He did cook some more, but it got me to wondering, was he breaking the law by selling cool chips?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I suppose, technically he was supplying goods "not of the quality demanded" as any reasonable person would expect chips to be hot.

Doubt if you'd find much interest at Trading Standards though!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you see a queue at a chip shop join the queue.If you don't see a queue give it a miss.

Most folk will always go to the best chip shop which is not always the nearest.

I like the odd McDonalds meal and they have a bad habit of boxing the chips beforehand and leaving them on the hot tray so by the time you get them they are usually a bit cool.

I have never complained yet but they don't call me Victor for nothing.

You were quite right to complain but I suppose the new fried chips were the to hot for you to enjoy.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"was he breaking the law by selling cool chips?"

Let's put it another way. In the unlikely event of a case coming to court you might claim that there was a reasonable expectation that fried chips would be hot at the point of sale. If they are not, you might argue that you are entitled to ask for a refund, or for the cool chips to be replaced with hot ones. One of the problems of course, is that different people might have different ideas about how hot a chip must be before it is enjoyable.

If I was on the bench that day I would probably rule in your favour and award you a full refund and costs. I might also express surprise that such a minor incident had made it to court.

It's all hypothetical because things like this are resolved at the time - as was the case with you. Customers either ask for hot chips, or they find out about the cool chips later and never go back. A shop that habitually sold cool chips would soon be out of business. Maybe you were just unlucky.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Quote "If you see a queue at a chip shop join the queue.If you don't see a queue give it a miss.

Most folk will always go to the best chip shop which is not always the nearest"

I always use that principle when using a restaurant, if it looks busy it probably is a good restaurant.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Like you I like chips hot - if I can pick one up the it's already too cool to allow for a couple of minutes walk to the bench on the pier. (I only have 'shop' chips when I go the seaside.)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I sometimes spend long weekends in a small town on the Suffolk coast. There's a fish and chip shop in the high street that regularly has a queue of twenty or so people stretching along the pavement. It's no fun in the rain or cold.

Last time I queued for twenty minutes and was rewarded with soggy, undercooked chips. I didn't realise until I got back to our rented cottage. I shall mention it, next time we're there.

All that glisters is not gold.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I don't eat chips that often, however when I do; I go to my local chippie, who always does a nice job of cooking them, however I get a bit niggles by the tiny burnt bits tha always seem to be at the bottom.

When I am travelling to a different area and it is time for something to eat,, if there is a choice, I look at how many people are in the shop (Cafe) and go into the one that has the most customers, and I'm usually right.

Terry

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

My local chippy is in a relatively small village. As you walk through the door the owner (one man band) asks for your order. It is then cooked. Means a 5 min wait, but well worth it - piping hot chips and crisp batter. Yumm!

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

It frustrates me when on the occasion that I go to Greggs I sometimes get given a cold pasty. Now I ask beforehand too. I feel they should have the facilities to keep the food at least warm before it is sold.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"asks for your order. It is then cooked. Means a 5 min wait, but well worth it "

Can a good chunk of cod be cooked, or chips blanched and cooked, in five minutes?

Out chippie does the same, but the wait is nearer 15/20 minutes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Contactless payments to launch on London public transport this year

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

NASA offers free 3D models of satellites, probes and planets for 3D printing and animation projects