We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reliable Budget ADSL Modem Router - Advice Needed

Marg7

Likes # 0

I need to buy a replacement ADSL modem/router to replace an ageing and temperamental Netgear. Preferably something under £40. Can anyone recommend a reliable model.

I've searched online for prices and reviews and looked on Amazon, but am not sure what to get. I bought an ASUS DSL-N10, which I returned after 4 days as it kept briefly dropping the wireless connection on 2 computers (not a problem with this on the Netgear).

I wondered if the ASUS DSL-N12U http://tinyurl.com/99ub5c9 would be better as it has 2 antennae.

Any advice appreciated.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Thanks for the recommendations on the TP LINK. the TD-W8960ND might be better on our line so I'll look into that a bit more.

We don't have a great line from the exchange and there are periods when there is quite a bit of noise. Using the ASUS for 4 days before returning it (due to the wireless problems) it seemed to work well and reduced the Noise Margin to 10 (from around 17 using the Netgear). That's partly why I was considering the ASUS DSL-N12U (which has 2 antennae and might have more reliable wireless).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This one I bought a few months ago, TP-Link-TD-W8960N with no problems. Easy to set-up, didn't use the accompanying CD. Check if you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13. What is the wireless range/signal strength like on that one?

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

The ASUS DSL-N10 (and N12) is also Ralink, like the 8961 from TP Link. You won't necessarily get a better result with the 8960; it depends what is "wrong" with your line, as it were. If you go for the Asus, which is fine, just be sure to get the ADSl version: if I remember rightly, there's only that additional "A" difference in their name... no number!

They are all available from Play.com , although better prices may exist.

ASUS
TP Link 8960 TP Link 8961

Argos also sell the 8961, and I don't think it is excluded from their 30 day return policy... Indeed Argos 8961 ... and their image shows what the box is likely to look like these days... it ain't quite that hideous!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Marg7 I don't have a large house but still get a good enough signal in the garden. So my experience of the range is limited. Godoogle brought up this, link, but with an extender. £35 for ADSL2 is OK I think. I bought mine as a backup router for my expensive D-Link one I have. Tried it out and it's still 'running'. The D-Link seems to be the backup one now.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Hi guys. thanks for the continued advice. I suspect the range would be fine. We don't have a huge house, but I have started using a laptop in the attic room, which is 2 floors above the router. With both my old Netgear DG834G and the brief time using the ASUS N10 the wireless signal 'good' to 'fair'.

It looks like it's coming down to a choice between the 8960 or the N12 (which I can get for about £32 on amazon or new on Ebay). I must confess to be put off the 8961 by the styling - it certainly looks pretty gruesome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination