We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reliable Budget ADSL Modem Router - Advice Needed

Marg7

Likes # 0

I need to buy a replacement ADSL modem/router to replace an ageing and temperamental Netgear. Preferably something under £40. Can anyone recommend a reliable model.

I've searched online for prices and reviews and looked on Amazon, but am not sure what to get. I bought an ASUS DSL-N10, which I returned after 4 days as it kept briefly dropping the wireless connection on 2 computers (not a problem with this on the Netgear).

I wondered if the ASUS DSL-N12U http://tinyurl.com/99ub5c9 would be better as it has 2 antennae.

Any advice appreciated.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Who is your ISP?

ISPs usually provide routers free.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

My ISP is Eclipse and I have been with them for many years. I think they originally provided a Speedtouch modem for free way back then.

I needed a wireless connection at some point so got my own wireless router. They give free wireless routers to new customers these days, but not to existing customers.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you asked Eclipse?

If you say you are having problems with yours and as a result are considering changing ISP ?? Who knows!

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I am with Eclipse and I think Nontek's suggestion is a good one. Worth a try as I have always found them very helpful.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Suggesting you'll leave if they don't help with a new router has worked for me on a number of occasions.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestion and I may consider it as an option. The free router to new Eclipse customers is a ZyXEL AMG1202-T10A http://www.eclipse.net.uk/hardware/AMG1202-T10A which they also sell for £35.

I would still be interested in recommendations for a reliable brand/model of budget ADSL router.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestion and I may consider it as an option. The free router to new Eclipse customers is a ZyXEL AMG1202-T10A http://www.eclipse.net.uk/hardware/AMG1202-T10A which they also sell for £35.

I would still be interested in recommendations for a reliable brand/model of budget ADSL router.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Sorry about the double post - got an error message so posted again.

I've had a look at the spec for the ZyXEL from Eclipse http://www.eclipse.net.uk/cms/files/dmfile/hardwareDatasheets/ZyXEL_AMG1202-T10A.pdf. . It has a single internal 3.5db antenna so I don't think the wireless connectivity would be up to the job.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

The TP-Link ADSL modem routers are always pretty reliable, and have good performance/range. TP-Link TD-W8961ND is newer than the TD-W8960ND, and uses the Ralink chipset, the older using Broadcom. Personally, I prefer the Ralink chipset (supports more WDS connections), but the Broadcom is meant to be better at connecting to weak line signals... so if you are a long way from the exchange, might be better. The links below to Ebuyer will give you one purchase option: try Amazon as well, maybe. The 8961 has had a facelift (not pretty), so the one you get may look more like a melted eggbox than the images on Ebuyer.

I use these, and Tenda versions (cheaper still, but same gizmo inside). Rock-solid in most cases. They'll give much better range than the Zyxel you can get through your ISP.

TP LINK 8960

TP LINK 8961

{Forum seems to have got stuck again... lost a neater version of this post in the ether!}

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

I have just purchased the TP-LINK TD-W8961ND to replace a Netgear DGN2000 Easy to set up with no problem so far.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features