We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Phantom 410 build help needed

Big Gazz
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all.

Its been four years since I last built a PC and things have obviously changed quite a lot. In that time I've been knee deep in honing my photography skills to start my own business and to add some clout to my post production work I have bought a bundle from a colleague in 3D Art consisting of Intel Core i7 2600k 4 core (8 thread) 3.4ghz processor, Asus P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard, 8gb Mushkin RAM and Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced CPU cooler all inside a Phantom 410 case. I have purchased an OCZ Agility 3 60Gb SSD card and transfered my four year old ATI Radeon x1950 graphics card, 430 watt EZ Cool PSU and 16x Samsung DVDRW from the old case but the latter three don't seem to be compatible with the Asus P8P67! Especially the optical drive. There are no slots on the motherboard for the flat flexible data cable for the DVD. The PSU has a plug connector for the SSD but there's nothing to connect the SSD to the motherboard. Is this because of the age of the PSU and the Optical drive? Will buying new of each resolve the problem? I've only just been awakened to Solid State Drives. Do I need a cable to connect it to my motherboard? I'm sure these are obvious to most of you but being out of the loop for so long I've fallen behind. Please be gentle.

Many thanks

Gazz

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

You'll need a sata cable for your ssd, a new dvdrw and a new psu as 430w is below minimum

Like this post  
Big Gazz

Likes # 0

Many thanks Mark.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I have a Phantom 410. I like this case design a lot and also have a full size Phantom. Be aware that the newer 410 does have some real teething problems. If you anticipate using the built in fan controller I hope it is the upgraded one as initially the first builds had a faulty fan controller which emitted a horrible whine--now replaced in later builds. The fans themselves are fairly noisy--I replaced all of mine and one final point. 'Quiet PC' do super magnetic filters which I have found to be essential in keeping dust out of the case

Also the fitted rubber grommets that protect the cut outs for cables are not secured properly and fitting cables neatly can therefor be a problem. I gave up long ago on NZXT customer support and solved these problems myself. It is a nice case design but production quality control and customer interface is non existent.

Like this post
Big Gazz

Likes # 0

I have installed all my hardware but my system still is not happy! I must admit, because my experience in the latest SATA set-up has been found slightly wanting I'm not 100% sure I have my cables where they should be. Upon installing Windows XP I get this blue error screen half way through.

"A problem has bee detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

"If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

"Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters."

"Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components , restart computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode."

Technical Information:

*STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005,0xF748E0BF,0xF78DA208,0xF78D9F08)

* pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

Something is not write I know. But what am I doing wrong?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July