We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

adding an extra hard drive

jaylaw17

Likes # 0

Hi i have recently started having problems with my external hard drive which is a western digital elements 500gb usb drive. The problem is that a) the usb port on the back is very unsecure and slightest movement disrupts the connection and b) even when the drive is completely secure and st6able after a while it gets very hot and starts disconnecting and reconnecting itself giving me a pop up saying the drive needs to be formatted before use! This is causing me a lot of problems since i store a number of media files on this drive and use them a lot. Is there a way to solve this? My other option is to install a secondary internal hard drive to my pc but i am worried about this affecting my pc performance. What would I need to take into consideration to do this?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

A secondary internal drive should not affect PC performance, assuming that your Power-pack has sufficient power, i.e. 400W as opposed to the older 250W Power-pack.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Shouldn't affect performance providing, as Nontek says, the PSU is adequate. I have 4 HDDs in my system, 3 X 1TB and 1 X 2TB. No problems with that set-up.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It will work faster and better if it as a internal drive fitted. Also as above regards PSU

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If the External Drive as not yet been corrupted with it connecting and disconnecting, consider your self fortunate. Never use a Faulty USB for connecting Hardware. If you have a spare slot you could fit a PCI USB card in it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...