We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

avg 2013

Jack b

Likes # 0

Has any one had problems instaling Avg 2013 it freezes my computer and the only way to remove it is to start in safe mode and uninstall it from there. I used advanced uninstaller pro which removes registery entries and files left behind. After checking on the avg website it appears a lot of people have issues with this programme. I have reinstalled avg 2012 until this is sorted out. Avg have not announced any fix yet (that I can find) although one user said that disabling the identity protection solves the issue but this is hardly Ideal

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've abandoned AVG after numerous problems over the years. I only use Avast or MSE now (both with no problems at all).

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I have used AVG free for more than 15 years no problems. I am now using 2013 free, works perfectly.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

No problems with AVG 2013 free here. Installed without problems, updates and scans OK.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I have tried to install the 2013 update on two computers - both running Windows 7

On one machine (laptop) everything went smoothly. On the second machine (desktop) there have been problems, and I still can't get the update to install fully. I get an error message telling me that there's a problem with the Windows installer, but that's misleading, the Windows installer works just fine with all other software installations.

Many people have experienced difficulties with this update, and as far as I'm aware AVG hasn't yet come up with a fix.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I am always wary of phrases such as - we suggest you ... do so and so etc! Who is we?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

But where does 'VISTA ANTIVIRUS 2013' come into the equation?! That is a virus, not an antivirus programme!!!

Like this post
Jack b

Likes # 0

Vista antivirus ?????? don`t see any mention of this I checked again for response from avg but could not find any and they don`t seem to have a contact email probably because they would be inundated when a anything was detected I have used avg for years but never had a problem before

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Jack b

The post referred to by myself and onthelimit1 appears to have been removed by the FE, I guess the Silver Mouse has been at work! Probably to pre-empt a nasty possibly being unleashed.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I removed a spam post advertising a product called Vista Antivirus.

Like this post
Jack b

Likes # 0

oh I see malware attempting to portray it self as a legitimate anti virus I think I may have to give up on AVG as they do not see to be rectifying the problems some users are having. They do not appear to give any indication that they are working on the fix

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'