We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I received this email when i made a purchase

finerty

Likes # 0

Checkout Compliance [email protected]

Google Checkout was unable to verify the account information you provided during the sign-up process. As a result, your account has been temporarily suspended. Until we receive and verify the requested documents, you will not be able to place orders. Please complete the form below to verify your information.

Collect all of the following documents:
    A bank statement or utility bill that includes your billing address
    Your driver's license or passport information page

Scan or copy each document, making sure the copies are clear and legible.
Submit the documents to Google using the form below. Alternatively, you may fax the information to 650 963 3342, or +1 650 963 3342 if you're outside the United States.

We'll contact you by email once we've received and verified your information.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I think this is a total SCAM ... just Google this and you will find pages and pages of questions all identical to yours, but no one seems to have any positive answer or feedback!

My advice is, do not click on any links or attempt to send any such detail.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Nontek

It's not a total scam. Google has to comply with the European legislation on money laundering and credit card fraud. This requires all online merchants to verify the identity of anyone who collects payments via their Merchant account system. The same verification system is now being migrated to buyers who use the Google wallet facility, and I assume that this is what finerty was using.

Buyers will now also be required to identify themselves properly, or the facility will not be available to them.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I noticed Google shares had made a big jump upwards and they are now the second post popular just behind Apple and in front of Microsoft.

But I am afraid to say if I was asked to part with information like that I would be shopping elsewhere.

Mind you I have never used them and probably never will. I suppose if needs must you probably would.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

FE

I was erring on the side of caution ... but can you explain why it appears to be proving so difficult for those affected, to be able to get a proper answer from those in authority, without seemingly so much hassle. Why are questions not apparently being answered?

I am not personally affected - just commenting in an effort to assist the OP.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Making on line credit card purchases is one thing, but that is a complete DIY identity theft kit!

There is no way I would pass that sort of information other than face to face with a human.

Like this post
G-telware

Likes # 0

Thanks for further information, Got so much information related to this post.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In fairness to Google, this isn't something they can opt out of. Any business that is involved in handling third-party money transactions via the internet is obliged to comply with UK and European legislation for the prevention and detection of money laundering. This can involve asking an individual to provide identity details, and unless you comply with the request you may find that your use of the transaction service is denied.

You can obviously choose to opt out of the transaction if you're not prepared to comply, and it goes without saying that it's up to you to satisfy yourself that your personal information is transmitted securely, and to a known recipient.

Money laundering via the internet is a concern, and it has increased - there were over a quarter of a million reports on customers from UK banks last year. Banks are obliged to notify the authorities if they suspect a customer is evading tax, or laundering the proceeds of crime via an account (as are accountants,solicitors, and financial advisers). It's an offence for them to notify the customer that they're submitting a report.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

FE

But you still have not answered my question - from what I have seen after Googleing the subject, people who are involved do not appear to be getting any answers to their questions, can you, or perhaps even Google, explain why no proper response to all those people? - non-response itself, making it appear to be a scam!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Nontek

"people who are involved do not appear to be getting any answers to their questions"

How would I know why these people can't get answers? Google checkout is - like any other transaction handling business - regulated in this country by the FSA

That means they must comply with UK and EU money laundering regulations

It's not that difficult to find answers if you go looking.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

FE

I have read most of both of your links, can't say that makes me much the wiser. Just glad I am not personally involved with the system.

Thanks anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...